Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1106519

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: CULMBRIDGE MANOR


Ordnance survey map of CULMBRIDGE MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 10:01:00.


Statutory Address: CULMBRIDGE MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Hemyock

National Grid Reference: ST 14367 13608


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST 11 SW HEMYOCK 5/73 Culmbridge Manor - - II* Farmhouse. Probably a mid C17 house extended in 1678. Roughcast rubble flint with some cob; gable end slate roof. The development of the plan is slightly confused by the presence of 2 through passages. That to the extreme left-hand end of the house has an unusually small heated room to the left (possibly a truncated service end), with the original hall to the right, the hall axial stack backing on to the passage. The screen between the hall and the original inner room now divides the hall from the second passage. To the right of this (divided from it by a cob and rubble wall) is a large room heated by an end stack, and above it a chamber with the dated plasterwork of 1678 : This is probably a late C17 rebuilding of the inner room. A wing was added to the rear of the hall and served originally as a dairy. Stacks with brick shafts. 2 storeys. Exterior. Front: irregular 5-window range. All windows are late C20 including 2 half dormers. A conservatory occupies much of the front. The door to the left-hand passage is studded. C20 extensions to rear. Interior: Hall, approached from the left-hand passage by a door with rails forming 9 panels and fleur de lis strap hinges, probably C17. Fireplace with re-used lintel and original chamfered Beer stone jambs. There was apparently a winder stair in the recess to the left of this fireplace. Chamfered cross ceiling beam with step stop and 2 bars. The plank and muntin screen to the higher end of the hall is chamfered, stopped and mitred to both sides; the noteworthy survival in the C17 bench facing the hall fireplace, with turned legs : the seat of the bench, although of considerable age, may not be original, but the bench is insitu; a bench of this quality is rare. Higher-end room with deeply chamfered axial ceiling beam, unstopped. Fireplace with Salcombe Regis stone jambs with scroll stops, the chamfer running continuously along timber lintel. Higher-end chamber : central moulded single-rib plaster roundel, and within this a husked roundel with central rosette. 3 plaster wall panels with CR monogram and crown, with a rose or thistle. A strapwork panel bears the date 1678 and the initials HH. Other chamber with plaster cyma reversa moulded cornices. Roof with straight principals.

Listing NGR: ST1436713608


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95693

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing