BARN AND STABLE ADJOINING TO EAST OF HAYNE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1106573

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: BARN AND STABLE ADJOINING TO EAST OF HAYNE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AND STABLE ADJOINING TO EAST OF HAYNE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106573 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 15:52:30.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN AND STABLE ADJOINING TO EAST OF HAYNE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Zeal Monachorum

National Grid Reference: SS 71659 03378

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ZEAL MONACHORUM SS 70 SW 4/68 Barn and stable adjoining to east - of Hayne Farmhouse GV II

Barn and stable. Parts are probably C16 or early C17, much rebuilt in C19, probably 1809; refurbished and barn extended to right (east) in late C19-early C20. Mostly local stone rubble, some of which is plastered, and some original cob on rubble footings to rear of barn; corrugated iron roof (formerly thatch). Barn and stable under continuous roof facing south. The stable adjoins east end of Hayne Farmhouse (q.v.) with larger barn at right (east) end with full height opposing doors to threshing floor. Irregular front elevation of randomly-spaced openings. The stable at the left end has a C19 doorway with a contemporary unglazed window and a hayloft loading hatch further left. The barn doorway with flanking short projecting midstrey walls and the roof carried down as a small hood is situated towards the left end of the barn. The double doors are probably 1809, and have interesting C19 graffiti including depictions of various plough types. There is an unglazed C19 window to left and to right a secondary doorway, 2 small windows and first floor loading bay. The roof is half-hipped at right end. Interior: stable is floored by reused C17 soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped crossbeam. The wooden manger is probably 1809 but the roof is late C19 with an A- frame truss with nailed lap-jointed collar. Barn floor has central drain to hole in end wall. Roof includes one C16 or early C17 side-pegged jointed cruck with mortises for through purlins. The front post has been cut off but the rear post is set in the cob there. The truss may be in situ. The rest of the roof is made up of various A-frame trusses. Several timbers appear ancient-and reused and some may derive from the pre-mid C17 Hayne Farmhouse. However the buildings were much altered during the general refurbishment of the property by George Snell in 1809. They form part of an attractive group with Hayne Farmhouse (q.v.) and the other barn (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SS7165903378

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95619

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing