CHAWLEIGH BARTON INCLUDING RUBBLE AND COB GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1106614

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: CHAWLEIGH BARTON INCLUDING RUBBLE AND COB GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAWLEIGH BARTON INCLUDING RUBBLE AND COB GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106614 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 01:03:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAWLEIGH BARTON INCLUDING RUBBLE AND COB GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Chawleigh

National Grid Reference: SS 71292 12749

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHAWLEIGH CHAWLEIGH SS 71 SW 2/37 Chawleigh Barton including rubble and cob garden wall adjoining to south. G.V II Farmhouse. C17, possibly earlier, thoroughly refurbished in 1877. Front of exposed local stone rubble with brick arches over windows, end and rear walls of partly plastered cob and rubble; stone rubble stacks with C19 and C20 brick chimney shafts; slate roof. The original 3-room-and-through-passage plan is still recognizable. House faces south with former inner room at right (east) end and lower end parlour at left (west) end. Passage enlarged in 1877 to include stair. Former inner room and parlour have end stacks, the latter projecting, and hall has axial stack backing onto former passage. C19 outshots across entire rear including a kitchen at left (west) end with rear stack. 2 storeys. 1877 front. Irregular 5-window front of similar 3 and 4 light casements with glazing bars. All windows have brick segmental arches over. Front door towards left end has rubble porch with gabled roof which includes bands of scallop-shaped slates. Outer arch has plain brick 2-centred arch and above is a Portland stone plaque which includes the Portsmouth crest in bas relief with the date 1877. Roof is gable-ended to left and hipped to right. The right end and rear walls show C19 blockings of earlier window embrasures. Interior was thoroughly refurbished in 1877 but layout suggests that early features may survive behind C19 plaster. For instance all fireplaces are blocked by C19 grates. Hall has mid C17 crossbeam, the soffit is ovolo-moulded with lozenge step stops enriched with chiselled motifs. The lower end parlour (part of which is now in entrance hall) has 2 mid C17 crossbeams, both with double ovolo soffit mouldings with large bar-runout stops. Roof not accessible but external walls suggest roof raised in 1877. From left end of front C19 low rubble wall with granite coping extreme southwards soon ramping up to high cob wall with thatch coping and including a bee bole. It lines left (west) side of front garden.

Listing NGR: SS7129212749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95508

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing