This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WADDICOMBE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WADDICOMBE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1106677

Location

WADDICOMBE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: East Anstey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97366

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST ANSTEY WADDICOMBE SS 82 NE 2/14 Waddicombe Farmhouse - - II

Farmhouse. Late C16 or early C17, but possibly earlier fabric concealed. Painted stone rubble, some rendered cob and brick. Slate roof with gable ends. Tall front lateral hall stack of unrendered stone rubble with tapered cap. Small rendered stack across rear right-hand corner. Plan: 3-room-and-cross-passage plan, with lower end to right. Cross-passage divided axially in C20 to create small rear room. C20 staircase at lower end of hall. Dairy beyond at upper end. Lower end heated by inserted fireplace across rear right-hand corner. Separate front entrances to dairy, cross-passage and lower end. Circa 1920 - 1930 the eaves were raised and roof replaced, and lower end staircase removed when first floor was raised. Exterior: 2 storeys. 4-window range. Principally early to mid C20 fenestration with a 2-light and 3-light casement 2 panes per light to left of stack, 2 C19 2 light 3 panes per light to right. Ground floor has plank door at left end, 3 light 3 panes per light to hall casement, plank door to cross-passage doorway, the opening having been infilled slightly in C20, and 2 light casement 2 panes per light to left of plank door to right end. Interior: Mostly altered in early to mid C20, but a 4-centred arched doorway with chamfered surround survives between hall and cross-passage, and hall has large chamfered cross-beam with run out stops. Axial beam to dairy boxed in. Solid wall partitions between hall and dairy and cross-passage and lower end. Roof structure replaced in C20 but it is possible that the foot of a cruck truss survives bedded into the rear wall of the hall.

Listing NGR: SS8680227114

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 86802 27114

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 08:15:01.

End of official listing