This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1106686



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chulmleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CHULMLEIGH THE SQUARE, Chulmleigh SS 6814-6914 7/109 The Globe GV II Public house, formerly 2 adjoining houses, the left-hand house incorporating shop. Circa 1880. Rendered stone rubble. Slate roofs with gable end brick stacks, that to right with toothed capping. Plan: Interior entirely altered in C20, but probably originally consisted of two symmetrical 2 room and central passage plan houses, left-hand house ground floor formerly used as shop. Exterior: 2 storeys. Left-hand house has symmetrical 5 window range. All 2 paned sashes with margin glazing bars. All windows have plain architraves with peaked lintels. Large shop window incorporating doorway with plain moulded pilasters and entablature. 3 large panes to shop window, canted at left end to recessed 4 panelled door, the upper 2 panels glazed. French doors inserted in window opening at right end and blocked window to right of shop window. House to right has symmetrical 3 window range, all 16 paned sashes 12 paned sashes to ground floor flanking central 16 paned sash inserted in blocked doorway. The right-hand house was the home of the Literary and Scientific Society in the late C19, revived in 1925 as a men's club which was closed in 1970.

Listing NGR: SS6873214158

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 68732 14158


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106686 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2018 at 08:08:47.

End of official listing