This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, INCLUDING FRONT WALLS AND IRON RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, INCLUDING FRONT WALLS AND IRON RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1106706

Location

CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, INCLUDING FRONT WALLS AND IRON RAILINGS, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chulmleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97233

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHULMLEIGH EAST STREET (north side) SS 6814-6914 Chumleigh 7/55 Congregational chapel, including 20.2.67 front walls and iron railings GV II* Chapel. 1710, repaired in 1793 and again circa 1803-4, enlarged at west end in 1836 and at east end in 1933. Unrendered stone rubble. Hipped slate roof to chapel, school-room addition with pedimented front gable end. Plan: Chapel rectangular on plan with 1836 2-storey school room wing built at right- angles to and projecting forward of the chapel at west end, creating overall L-shaped plan. Low single storey vestry extension at west end. Exterior: single storey chapel with galleries at west end and on south side. School-room extension of 2 storeys. Chapel has large pointed arched windows to north and south sides. C20 fenestration in C19 Gothick style. 2 windows at east end with renewed lintels. Central gabled porch to south side with virtually semi-circular arched doorway and a date tablet of 1710 in the gable. Small pointed arched window above with a tablet below it bearing the date 1633, probably a C19 insertion. Slate headstones mounted on front wall, to member of Sharp and Clerk family by Howell to right of porch and to Mary Turner (d.1816) and children of Richard and Mary Howell (signed Howell) to left, all early C19. School-room extension has pedimented front gable end with Gothick segmental arched first floor window of 3 ogee-leaded lights. Interior: chapel has a flat plaster ceiling and a raised ceiling above the early C19 west gallery, which has a panelled front with rounded projecting centre, on 4 turned columns, early C19 clock on front with wooden case with Gothick traceried panel. Smaller singing gallery over south entrance probably circa 1800, with rounded panelled front supported on 2 turned timber columns, with some original seating and slender staircase to west with vase finial to lower newel. Staircase at west end giving access to gallery has late C17/early C18 turned balusters reused in the remodelling of circa 1836. Pulpit, believed to have come from the parish church, has octagonal drum with 3 heights of bolection-moulded panels, similarly panelled back- board, and octagonal tester with shaped top supported by wrought-iron pendant and dove finial, probably early C18 but incorporating some earlier material in the canopy. Chapel seating replaced in 1882. 2 early C19 brass chandeliers of 6 and 8 branches. Early C18 Communion table with 4 baluster legs. Square iron tablet on wall of lobby at west end, signed by Howell, with inscription 'The premises adjoining the west end of this building were erected in 1836'. The school-room was "for the education of children of any denomination, the other apartments are for the use of either of the minister or school-master for the time being'. Roof: original structure survives with 2 king-post trusses with braced principals, the braces to the east truss stongly curved, and carrying double purlins and a square-set ridge-piece. Monuments etc: shields-of-arms on north wall, of 2 late C19 diamond-shaped wooden panels, one inscribed "Arms of John Bowring who gave the ground" and "Arms of Lewis Stuckley who built this chapel 1633". Also on north wall, monuments to John Cudmore (d.1706), 12 years pastor in succession to Thomas Hart, with octagonal wooden tablet surmounted by urn; Richard Darracott (d.1727), pastor, large oval medallion; William Skinner (d.1826) and Roger Howell (d.1839) and others; on east wall to Rev. Thomas Sharp 1858, 32 years pastor, on south wall to Rev. Joseph Hooker (d.1748), pastor; descendent of John Hooker, the historian of Exeter. Rev. J. G. Cording A Short History of the Congregational Church, Chulmleigh, Devon, Established 1633 (1933)

Listing NGR: SS6890814300

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cording, J G, A Short History of the Congregational Church Chulmleigh Devon Established 1633, (1933)

National Grid Reference: SS 68908 14300

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106706 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 02:03:03.

End of official listing