Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE OLD COURT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106721.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jan-2020 at 11:30:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 68676 14321



1546/7/92 The Old Court House

09.06.1952 II

Public house. 1633. Unrendered stone rubble. Thatch roof with gable ends and axial brick stack to front range and rendered rear lateral stack towards left end. Slate roof with 2 rear lateral stacks to rear service range. Plan: Original plan obscured by C19 and C20 alterations and now consists of single large room to front range, the upper storey extending over carriage entrance at right end with a long rear service and former stable range to rear creating overall T-shaped plan. Development: Roof structure suggests the inn formerly extended further to the left (upper end), the surviving C17 plan therefore appears to consist of a truncated hall at the left (upper) end heated by the rear lateral stack, and lower end, possibly a parlour to right. The boxed in headrail of a screen indicates the former division between the 2 rooms. The original partition of the entry is unclear, the doorway having been cut out of part of a king mullion window clearly the hall window. The inn appears to have been refaced in the C19 and therefore evidence for the principal entrance would have been concealed. Staircase replaced in C19 runs up rear of hall stack in a stair outshut to the left of the rear continuous kitchen and stable wing, the latter having been converted to form part of the dwelling. Exterior: 2 storeys. 3 window range. C17 fenestration with ovolo-mullions survives intact except for ground floor right-hand window. 6 light king mullion window on each floor at left end, the ground floor window has had the two lights at right end removed and a doorway inserted with 4 panelled door. Two 4-light mullions above 3 light mullion and 4-paned window to right. Ground floor windows have ovolo-moulded timber lintels with run out stops. Wide cart entrance also retains weathered C17 ovolo-moulded lintel, and 2 C19 plank doors. Interior. Boxed in headrail of screen with 3 ogee doorway heads. Dressed stone jambs to lower end fireplace, lintel replaced. Hall fireplace possibly concealed by C20 grate. Fine plasterwork overmantel depicting Royal Arms of Charles I, dated 1633 and with initials R.A. and A.S. to each side, and trailing leaf and flower decoration to frieze below survives to chamber over hall which was probably originally used as a courtroom but reduced in length when the upper end was demolished. Roof: 2 C17 trusses to main range with 2 tiers of threaded purlins, threaded ridge purlin and typical C17 dove-tail jointed collars. The truss at the upper end is sited close to the present gable end wall.

Listing NGR: SS6867614321


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/15699/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Hopkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].