This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COURTYARD RANGE OF FARMBUILDINGS CIRCA 10 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF SPITTLE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COURTYARD RANGE OF FARMBUILDINGS CIRCA 10 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF SPITTLE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1106738

Location

COURTYARD RANGE OF FARMBUILDINGS CIRCA 10 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF SPITTLE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chulmleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97202

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHUMLEIGH SS 61 NE 3/24 Courtyard range of farmbuildings circa 1O metres south-west of Spittle Farmhouse GV II Courtyard range of farmbuildings. 1871. Cider-house probably C18. Unrendered stone rubble. Cider-house of cob and stone rubble. Slate roofs with gable ends. Barn has asbestos slate roof. Cider house has hipped corrugated iron roof. Courtyard range of farmbuildings, comprising open-fronted linhays on 2 sides, that to north side of 7 bays with stone rubble piers that to west side of 6 bays with timber posts; barn or south side has stone rubble porch projection and double plank doors; stables adjoining to left has 2 loft doors over cart entrance at left end and 2 windows each side of plank door to right. Granary on east side has loft door at north gable end, external stone steps removed. The cider-house stands a few metres north of the courtyard range and has all its fittings, including cider-press with metal thread, apple-loft, cider racks and apple crushers intact and is still used for cider-making. Spittle Farm belonged to the Fortescue Estate until the early C20, the 1871 farm buildings being a good and little altered example of a planned courtyard range.

Listing NGR: SS6821217944

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 68212 17944

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2017 at 07:16:27.

End of official listing