- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ARLINGTON COURT
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106817 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 19:25:35.
- Statutory Address:
- ARLINGTON COURT
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SS 64 SW
5/4 Arlington Court
Country house. Main range 1820 by Thomas Lee of Barnstaple, the staircase hall
altered and rear wing added in 1865. Ashlar, main range pointed. Slate roof of
main range concealed by low parapet and unmoulded cornice, rear ranges with slate
roofs, with 3 ridge stacks with panelled sides and moulded caps to the wing at right
angles to main range and 3 stone rubble ridge stacks to parallel rear range.
Main range consists of rectangular block with gallery extending whole length of the
garden (south) front, with folding screens to form 3 principal rooms, main entrance
hall to right (east side) leading into large central staircase hall; this was
enlarged in 1865 by demolishing the former staircase in the north-west corner and
absorbing 2 rooms each on the ground and first floors. Extending at right angles to
rear right-hand end of main range is the 1865 wing of 9 bays the furthest 4 bays
breaking forward slightly. At right angles to this, and parallel with the main
range is a further service wing creating an overall 3-sided rear courtyard plan.
Main range in severe neo-classical style with interior design heavily influenced by
Soane, in whose office Lee was for a short time employed.
Main range of 2 storeys with basement service rooms. Rear wings 2 storeys. Main
range, symmetrical with 5-bay garden front, 3 bays to left-hand return and right-
hand returning the entrance front. Giant angle Tuscan pilasters. All 12-paned
sashes to upper storey. French windows to ground floor except to centre of bay of
entrance front which has 1st floor French window with margin glazing bars over semi-
circular Greek Doric porch with 4 fluted columns supporting entablature and iron
balustrade. Door of 2 narrow panelled leaves and tall transomed overlight. Raised
terrace to front of garden and entrance front with banded rustication and
incorporating flights of stone steps to central bay of garden front and to entrance
doorway. To each side, the terrace wall is pierced by square openings with wrought
iron grilles lighting the basement. The 1885 range extending to right of entrance
front has plat-band and rusticated surrounds to segmental arched windows with 2 over
Arlington Court was built and owned by the Chichester family until 1949, when it was
bequeathed to the National Trust, whose guide 'Arlington Court' (1985) gives a full
interior description and see also John Cornforth 'Arlington Court, Devon', Country
Life, 30 April 1981.
Listing NGR: SS6109440522
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'National Trust Guide' in Arlington Court, (1985)
'Country Life' in 30 April, (1981)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.