STABLE BLOCK AND COACHMAN'S HOUSE TO ARLINGTON COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1106818

Date first listed: 09-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK AND COACHMAN'S HOUSE TO ARLINGTON COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK AND COACHMAN'S HOUSE TO ARLINGTON COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 10:38:51.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK AND COACHMAN'S HOUSE TO ARLINGTON COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Arlington

National Grid Reference: SS 61395 40496

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARLINGTON ARLINGTON SS 64 SW 5/5 Stable block and Coachman's House - to Arlington Court GV II Stable block and coachmans house. 1864. Snecked stone rubble with rusticated ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with gable ends, coped parapets, moulded stone cornices and lions head guttering. Plan: 7 bay stable and coachhouse range with a clock tower over the centre bay and 3 bay wing projecting to left with an integral coachman's house attached at the end of the wing, forming overall L-shaped plan. Baroque style. 2 storeys. 7 bay stable range, with an acarded front, which is carried around a further 3 bays in wing projecting at right angles to the left. Each bay has a large rusticated round arch to the arcade and the central blind bay has niche containing stone carved Chichester shield and 1864 datestone above in the open pediment breaking the eaves on large stone console brackets. Above is a large octagonal clock tower, its eaves carried over the clockfaces with rusticated surrounds by segmental pediment; the clock tower is surmounted by a tall octagonal cupola with open arcaded sides and dome with a ball finial topped by the Chichester heron. The right-hand end bay is also blind with a semi-circular headed sash window. The corners of the stable range are also treated with rusticated quoins. Set back slightly at the left end of the wing is the coachman's house; 2 storeys, symmetrical 3 bays; 4-pane sashes in rusticated segmental arch openings; similar rusticated surround to the central segmental arch coach house doorway. The courtyard is enclosed on the south side with a low stone rubble wall incorporating a mounting block and ashlar gatepiers with ball finials.

Listing NGR: SS6139540496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 96980

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

End of official listing