BOWDEN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106826
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1953
Statutory Address:
BOWDEN FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOWDEN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106826 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 01:48:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOWDEN FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Berrynarbor
National Grid Reference:
SS 55990 45077

Details

BERRYNARBOR SS 54 NE 1/24 Bowden Farmhouse 9.3.53 - II Farmhouse. Late C16 or early C17, much altered in C20. Rendered stone rubble. Slate roof with small rendered stacks at each end and rear lateral brick hall stack enclosed in dairy outshut. Roughly symmetrical 2-room and through-passage plan with the hall to left heated by the central rear stack, later divided into 2 rooms by brick partition. Straight staircase offset to right of through-passage. To the rear of the right-hand room is a right-angled rear service wing, probably an C18 or early C19 addition, creating an overall L-shaped plan. 2 storeys. 5-window range. C20 fenestration except for a 2-light. casement, 8 panes per light and a 3-light casement, 3 panes per light to ground floor to right of gabled porch with slate roof. 2 buttresses at right end. Interior: much altered in C20 including the removal of a very fine plank and muntin screen with fluted panelling between the hall and through-passage, probably of late C16 date. The hall has chamfered cross-beams and bressumer with pyramid stops. The roof trusses entirely replaced in C19 or early C20. Despite the C20 alterations and unfortunate removal of the screen, the house is listed also for its historical associations as the birthplace of Bishop Jewel (1522- 71), Bishop of Salisbury and author of the Apologia (1562). The screen is currently being repaired (January 1986) and there are plans to re-install it in Berrybarbor Manor Hall (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SS5599045077

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
96999
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].