This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

List entry Number: 1106929

Location

PARISH CHURCH (DEDICATION UNKNOWN)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Loxbeare

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 96752

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 91 NW LOXBEARE LOXBEARE

9/108 Parish Church (dedication unknown)

5.4.66 GV II*

Parish church. South doorway C12, tower possibly C12 or C13 in origin but much remodelled and could be later, remainder of fabric probably early rather than late medieval. Restoration of 1850 included Romanesque style chancel window and rebuilding east and south walls; further restoration of 1896 by Harbottle Reed. Stone rubble, ashlar masonry to tower, slate roof. Plan: Small nave and chancel church with a south porch. C19 north-east vestry and a squat tower, unexpectedly large on plan but-very short. Romanesque south doorway, windows C19. Exterior: 1850 round-headed Romanesque chancel window, splayed with shafts to the interior; priest's doorway on the south side restored 1850; C19 square-headed south windows with trefoil-headed lights; gabled 1850 north-east vestry with stack. The north side of the nave is rendered with 1 3-light similar C19 window; south side of nave with 1 1-light and 1 3-light C19 window. Odd 2-stage tower with a shallow projecting north-east stair turret, a low parapet and evidence of considerable rebuilding including part of a string course on the west face and a chamfered belfry opening to left of centre. Chamfered rounded west doorway with pyramid stops; 2- light possibly medieval Ham Hill west window with Tudor arched lights. Gabled south porch with a 2-centred chamfered outer doorway with pyramid stops and a pair of circa 1860s iron gates with curved top rails. The porch has a plain plaster barrel ceiling and a C12 inner doorway with a surviving outer order of zig-zags and the remnants of zig-zag decoration on the tympanum. Square-headed doorway below the tympanum with a keystone inscribed + AILMA/BEFOD/OMN/. Interior: Plastered walls with some exposed masonry round the windows; chancel arch formed by junction of chancel and nave roofs; plain moulded tower arch with abutment to the east; plastered barrel ceiling to nave with an ovolo-moulded centre rib possibility of early roof timbers concealed by plaster; slender C19 arched brace roof to chancel. Pre C19 features include a rectangle of medieval tiles below the east window, circa early C18 bobbin-turned altar rails and a pretty late C17 pulpit (restored 1868) with sounding board: the pulpit a slender drum with a carved cornice and knots and drapery carved on the drum. A C17 panel with a cherub's head and brackets is fixed to the wall behind the pulpit. Other fittings are a mixture of mid and late C19 design; 18]iO font with a square bowl with chamfered corners; C19 floor tiling incorporating memorials from replaced ledger stones; late C19 choir stalls incorporating C17 fragments; 1870 prayer desk originating from Gilbert Scott's restoration of Exeter Cathedral ; late C19 nave benches; 1904 lectern by Harry Hems of Exeter. Memorials include 2 C17 wall plaques to members of the Cudmore family and a number of early C19 white marble wall plaques. Painted Royal Arms in a nowy-headed frame above the south door dated 1725 and signed "Johannes Gill Tiverton pinxit". North window with memorial date of 1875 probably by Drake of Exeter.

Listing NGR: SS9118316115

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 91183 16115

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106929 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2017 at 05:05:28.

End of official listing