This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1107038

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kennerleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 96501

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KENNERLEIGH KENNERLEIGH SS 80 NW 6/50 - Church of St John the 26.8.65 Baptist GV II*

Parish Church. Tower and chancel C14, north aisle C15; all thoroughly renovated 1847-8. Red sandstone, volcanic and mudstone rubble with Beerstone, Hamstone and red sandstone ashlar detail; slate roofs. Nave with narrower and slightly lower chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. Mostly restored late Perpendicular. Low unbuttressed west tower in 2 stages with embattled parapet and small pinnacles and dwarf pyramidal roof surmounted by C20 brass moline cross. Segmental arches over belfry windows are restored with C19 brick. On west side of tower C19 segmental arch has contemporary plank door with unusual wrought iron strap hinges. The south side of nave was apparently largely rebuilt in mid C19 and includes 4 Hamstone square-headed windows in C16 style; square-headed with round- headed lights; two 2-light left of porch and two 3-light to right. Gable-ended south porch has 2-centred arch of red sandstone and Beer stone. The right (east) end of nave has large red sandstone quoins and part of a chamfered plinth, probably C15 work. The fabric of the chancel is rubble tending to courses and some may be C14. It includes the blocked pointed arch of the priest's door and to the right a narrow lancet, both of volcanic ashlar. The red sandstone quoins and east chancel window (2-light Perpendicular with ogee heads and trefoil cusping) are mid C19 restorations. Similar 3-light window in east end of north aisle. On north side the 2 square-headed volcanic windows with elliptical-headed lights may be C15. Interior: Almost round-headed south doorway containing a C17 plank door with moulded cover strips restored in C19. Nave has C19 plaster barrel vault ceiling with a crenellated wall plate; north aisle has much restored wagon roof but many of the carved oak bosses are original C15; and chancel has an ornate wagon roof which though restored retains much original C16 carving and carpentry. It has moulded ribs and intersecting straight windbraces with carved flat bosses and a carved fernleaf wall plate. Low, almost round-headed tower arch with plain volcanic voussoirs. 4-bay arcade, 3 to nave and 1 to chancel, of whitewashed ashlar. The moulded piers (Pevsners A Type) have plain caps only to the attached columns. The arches are low and broad and are part of the 1848 renovation as too is the double chancel arch. C19 parquee floor includes one memorial slab to Amas Blagg (died 1732). The sanctuary lancet window is filled with fragments of ancient stained glass including a crown, a Tudor rose and grissaille. Hollow-chamfered rear arch to east chancel window which includes stained glass of 1860. The fittings and furnishings are all Victorian Gothick although vestry screen appears to include a length of C16 carved oak cornice possibly from a rood screen. Brass lectern dated 1894. The Beer stone font bowl is good C15 work decorated with quatrefoils on panels with a band of foliage ornament underneath, but is set on C19 pedestal.

Listing NGR: SS8196307448

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 81963 07448

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 06:18:25.

End of official listing