CHEST TOMB OF JOHN GODFREY APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107075
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1984
Statutory Address:
CHEST TOMB OF JOHN GODFREY APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHEST TOMB OF JOHN GODFREY APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107075 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 09:26:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHEST TOMB OF JOHN GODFREY APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES WEST OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST CYRIAC AND ST JULITTA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton St. Cyres
National Grid Reference:
SX 87905 98005

Details

NEWTON ST CYRES THE VILLAGE SX 89 NE 6/30 Chest Tomb of John Godfrey - approx 12 metres west of Tower of Church of St Cyriac and St Jullita GV II Chest tomb, built for John Godfrey of Crediton (died 1779). Purple-grey slate. Simple classical design. Inscribed lid with moulded edges. The long side-walls have engaged balusters near each corner and a central rectangular plaque. The short side-walls have central, bowed projections. The lid records the death of John Godfrey, aged 84, his wife, Jane who also died in 1779 and their son and daughter who were buried close by. The side plaques commemorate two grand- daughters and a great grand-daughter.

Listing NGR: SX8790598005

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
96382
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04476/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ken Saunders. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].