BROADGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1107084

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: BROADGATE, EAST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROADGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107084 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 20:58:51.

Location

Statutory Address: BROADGATE, EAST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Braunton

National Grid Reference: SS 48916 36866

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 4836-4936 BRAUNTON EAST STREET (west side) Braunton 12/83 - Broadgate (Formerly listed as 9.3.53 Broadgate Farm House under - II* Bishop's Tawton)

Former Manor House, now 2 dwellings. C14/C15 fabric to cross-wing with interior alterations 1626 according to plasterwork overmantle. Partially rebuilt probably C19 and refenestrated C20. Cross-wing is at upper end of 3-cell through-passage plan. Probably C16. Stone rubble with slate roof. West facade has had a right- angled breeze-block extension added mid C20 at lower end. A gabled right-angled stair turret rebuilt C19 near to upper end of hall. Between is an outshut with C20 conservatory in front, the outshut now enclosing former lateral rubble and brick hall stack. At extreme upper end, west face of cross-wing has sash on each floor, 8 panes per sash above 6 panes per sash, projecting rubble stack to first floor chamber only at upper end with corbelled base. Brick stack at north gable end. East facade has 2-light casement with flat brick arch over 3-light casement in the gable end of the cross-wing and 2-light casements with brick arches on each floor on north face. All C20 fenestration. To right in the angle is an inserted mock Tudor wooden staircase opening directly into hall with ovolo-moulded jambs and reused lintel. Plank door with cover strips. 4-light hall window to right with similar window above, both C20 casements with timber lintels and stone sills. North side has fine cross-passage entrance. C19 rubble porch with slated canopy. Square- headed oak doorway with ovolo-moulded jambs with stepped stops. Oak door of plank construction with cover strips and carved Cl7 graffiti. Above are two 2-light casements; 12 panes each light with 8 paned horizontal pivot in the upper part. 4- light window to right of porch with glazing bars. C18 panes each light. Lateral hall fireplace has slate herringbone design and chamfered lintel with C19 brackets. Upper chamber has fine medieval stone fireplace with corbelled stone lintel with rounded corbelled stone lamp bracket each side. Plaster frieze with intertwined floriated design and Cl7 plasterwork over mantel. Cartouche dated 1626 in centre with scrolled head and base and fleur-de-lis to each side of human heads and floriated designs at the corners. Fine medieval roof concealed above. 2 bays with intermediate trusses. Principal trusses have apex yokes and chamfered arch braces to cambered collars. The arch braces are morticed into the principals. Intermediate trusses are raised and chamfered base crucks, with cambered chamfered collars supporting king posts. The one to east is replaced. Windbraces in the 2 bays chamfered on underside only. 3 tiers of purlins, clasped on the intermediate trusses. Top and bottom tiers are trenched in the principal trusses, middle tier of purlins have been halved and threaded. Top purlins are chamfered between the wind braces. As west gable end of cross-wing has been rebuilt, a bay may have been lost. South side lower end has cloam oven and plain timber lintel to fireplace at north end but 4 finely chamfered and stopped beams survive, 2 being partly concealed.

Listing NGR: SS4891636866

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 98322

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing