SAUNTON COURT INCLUDING GARDEN STRUCTURES TO EAST INCORPORATING GATEWAY, GARDEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS, GAZEBO, GROTTO AND FLIGHT OF STEPS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1107095

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1965

Statutory Address: SAUNTON COURT INCLUDING GARDEN STRUCTURES TO EAST INCORPORATING GATEWAY, GARDEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS, GAZEBO, GROTTO AND FLIGHT OF STEPS

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAUNTON COURT INCLUDING GARDEN STRUCTURES TO EAST INCORPORATING GATEWAY, GARDEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS, GAZEBO, GROTTO AND FLIGHT OF STEPS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 09:31:51.

Location

Statutory Address: SAUNTON COURT INCLUDING GARDEN STRUCTURES TO EAST INCORPORATING GATEWAY, GARDEN WALLS AND GATEPIERS, GAZEBO, GROTTO AND FLIGHT OF STEPS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Braunton

National Grid Reference: SS 45687 37908

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 43 NE BRAUNTON SAUNTON

7/50 Saunton Court including garden - structures to east incorporating 25.2.65 gateway, garden walls and gatepiers, gazebo, grotto and flight of steps

- II*

Manor house, C15, possibly earlier origins, remodelled and extended by Lutyens in 1932. Rubble stone bought to courses with stone dressings to the openings. Slate roofs with gable ends, hipped to rear range with deep eaves. Ornamental guttering with acorn finials to the brackets. Stone lateral hall stack with moulded cap to rear now enclosed by 1932 additions, stacks to left and right side of cross-wings respectively and rear gable end of right-hand cross-wing with tapering caps and slated weatherings. Originally open-hall with 2-storey porch to through passage with cross wings at each end with additional short right-angled projection from right-hand cross-wing. The hall did have floor inserted at later stage but Lutyens removed floor, remodelled the fenestration and added kitchen block and single- storey range to rear parallel to main range to form an open courtyard to rear. Single-storey hall with 2-storeyed cross-wings and porch. Hall has 3 window range of C20 hornless wood sashes with cambered heads 6 over 6 panes. Gabled porch at lower end of hall with horned sash 6 over 6 panes above round-arched porch with inner arch supported on engaged columns, roll-moulded in post blocks and bases. Cambered-arched inner doorway with rusticated surround and sculptured head keystone over double-leaved door of 6 panels, the upper panels glazed. 2 sashes on each floor to each cross-wing 6 over 6 pane, square-headed to upper storey with horns with relieving arches to left hand cross-wing and cambered heads without horns to ground floor. Right side of cross-wing has sash 6 over 6 panes over 12-paned window and similar sash over double horizontal sliding sash window one ast face of right-angled projection. The range to rear by Lutyens has 3 window range on courtyard side flanking glazed door. Left side of left hand cross-wing has horizontal sliding sashes double to left and single to right above doorway with dressed stone relieving arch to left and 2 single horizontal sliding sashes to right of double horizontal sliding sashes. Projecting portion of kitchen block with steeply pitched roof to outshut at left end has triple horizontal sliding sashes, 6 panes per sash to front and rear on each floor, that to ground floor front with dressed stone relieving arch. Interior remodelled by Lutyens apart from C17 stone bolection moulded fireplace to rear end of right side cross-wing. Also much of the early roof structure intact. Over the hall, half the timbers comprising the whole rear side have been replaced with the shallower pitch required for Lutyens galleried additions. The lower cross-wing roof structure has also been replaced. But 3 heavy principals and one whole truss at the juncture of the upper cross-wing remain over hall. Original truss had yokes, diagonal set threaded ridge purlins, 2 tiers of threaded purlins and archbraced collars. Collars now removed, but substantial number of rafters, most of purlins and 2 yokes survive, all heavily smoke-blackened as are original trusses. The cross-wing at upper end has almost complete medieval roof structure with 3 trusses, 2 with short yokes and the third with saddle, 3 tiers of purlins, the middle tier square-set with soffit mortices for chamfered windbraces all intact on south side and 2 surviving to north side. Chamfered arch-bracing to cranked collars morticed into soffits of principals. The short right-angled projection from the upper cross-wing contains a single pair of raised crucks with diagonally threaded ridge purlin and small yoke, a small slightly cambered collar and 1 tier of threaded purlins. The Lutyens remodelling involved repanelling of the principal rooms including master bedroom to rear of lower cross-wing. Ground floor rom of upper cross-wing to rear also has alcoves flanking panelled doors with swags above, and more elaborate frieze and eared architecture to opposing frame in front room, which also has Adam fireplace with fluted pilasters with rams head capitals, carved cherubs scene to central cartouche and flanking festoons. Hall with walnut panelled doors at each end has large painted ceiling medallion depicting "The Judgement of Paris" possibly by Cipriani 1740. Engaged classical-style pilasters but with bells in the capitals, 4 to each side and 2 to each end. Bolection marbled chimneypiece to rear wall. Panelled through-passage has alcove on left wall with goats head to head of niche in garlanded surround. Panelled room to left of through-passage has terracotta mantel with trophied cluster of rural implements flanking centre pastoral cartouche brought from France by Robert Adam. Fine wooden open-well staircase to rear of cross- passage with turned balusters, wreathed handrail ramped up to square fluted newels. Fireplaces to principal bedrooms, at front of each cross-wing, that at lower end has bolection moulded surround with ducks-nest style grate in cast iron with radiating ribbed surround. Structures in landscaped garden by Lutyens including stone wall enclosing garden on three sides to east front of house incorporating outbuildings and gateway porch with slated roofs to south side with wooden gate ledged to form 3 panels with short turned bars interlocking to middle panel. Clock tower/gazebo at south east corner of ashlar blocks with pyramidal slate roof. 2-storeyed, built into bank with round archway over wrought-iron gates on south face and convex steps leading to cambered arched doorway to upper storey on west side. 2-light window 8 panes per light with keystone and voussoirs sto cambered arch over round archway with keystone on east side, reused rainwater head to left dated 1674. Central gatepiers to front garden wall with pyramidal caps and ball finials and wooden gates with turned bars. Grotto in front with deep niche and goats head gargoyle and plaque above. Steps in higher garden wall to north side half convex to lower flight, upper flight half concave.

Listing NGR: SS4568737908

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 98349

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

End of official listing