PEEL TOWER AT OS SS 49123674

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107114
Date first listed:
14-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
PEEL TOWER AT OS SS 49123674

Map

Ordnance survey map of PEEL TOWER AT OS SS 49123674
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 11:54:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
PEEL TOWER AT OS SS 49123674

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Braunton
National Grid Reference:
SS4911736733

Details

SS 4836-4936 BRAUNTON BRAUNTON

12/47 Peel Tower at O.S. SS49123674 -

- II

Peel Tower, built 1857 for Thomas Mortimer of Franklyn Cottage. Creeper-clad rubble 3-stage tower with first floor access to rear. Floors and roof collapsed. 3 square-headed openings with timber lintels on sides and rear of first stage, the sill of rear opening lowered by loss of rubble. Front wall opening has also been knocked out but semi-circular brick arch mostly survives. Square opening in top stage rear wall with timber lintel. The inner bottom stage walls are splayed in the corners. Originally "the lower basement part (was intended) for a greenhouse: the apartment above a study: and at the top an observatory; between the second and third compartment is a niche, intended for a statue of Sir R(obert) Peel", according to Billings Directory (1857). Originally the tower was surmounted by a castellated parapet and corner finials. (A small plaque in retaining wall near back door of Franklins Cottage is inscribed "Disraeli's Refuge : Sneering, Jeering, Satirical Ben/ most Specious of Sophists and Spiteful of men").

Listing NGR: SS4911736733

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98289
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Billings Directory' in Billings Directory, (1857)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].