Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107140.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-May-2021 at 02:34:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 53350 35357



8/3 Church of St Peter - 25.2.65 - II*

Parish Church, incorporating mediaeval furnishings and fabric to base of tower, but tower rebuilt 1798 according to plaque on north wall with inscription. "This Tower was Built at the Expense of the Parish in the year 1798". Remainder entirely rebuilt 1854 with chancel and south porch completed in late 1850s/early 1860s. Stone rubble, the tower, south wall of nave and south porch being variously roughly coursed. Slate roofs with coped gable ends with apex gablets. Crocketted ridge tiles to nave, chancel and north aisle, all partly damaged. Nave with south porch, chancel, north aisle and adjoining transeptal tower of 2 stages with C19 broach spire slated with 2 bands of fish scales. 2 figured bell openings with louvres in second stage to east and west only. Pointed arched doorway on east side reached by external dog-leg stone steps. C19 Decorated style fenestration except window openings on south side which are square-headed and have label moulds with returned ends, that to right of porch having grotesque heads as stops. Vestry has 2 single-light windows with shouldered heads in north wall, doorway with shouldered head in east wall, and tall slender stack in ashlar with gablet hood. Plain unmounded pointed arch to south porch and ambitious south doorway in Moorish style with shaped wooden surround and matching plank door. Short angle buttress to south west corner of nave. Interior Arcade of 2 bays with plain pointed arches. Lower pointed arches to west and south sides of tower. Nave roof has C19 arched collars and windbraces. Tiled reredos dado with commandment communion table. Bishops chair to right also uses C17 carved panels. Ornately carved dado panelling to 3 sides of vestry and part of frieze on north wall. Reset boss carved in shape of human head also on north wall and small cusped stone panel with mutilated figure of St John in relief probably C14 on fireplace mantel. Reused C16 bench panels in pulpit. Ornately carved bench ends and pews in nave and north aisle transept variously incorporating C16, C17 and C19 timber. 2 possibly reset 'poppy heads' on octagonal posts: In north transept there is also a single box pew and dado panelling of C16 and C17 with C19 insertions. Diamond leaded panes with fleur-de-lis and other foliated devices in each pane and marginal glazing bars in all the windows except the plainer 3-light window. Chancel window and east window have C19 stained glass. Undecorated lead- lined font of a square bowl with chamfered corners on round column and square base, probably late Norman.

Listing NGR: SS5335035357


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00126/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Mellor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].