CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107157.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 08:58:53.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 54401 37561
SS 53 NW MARWOOD MARWOOD VILLAGE
4/29 Church of St Michael 25.2.65
Parish Church, C13 fabric to chancel with two lancets to north side (recent) and pointed south doorway. South transept with single lancet in east wall and unmoulded pointed arch into nave. Battered plinth in north aisle indicates former north transept and original cruciform plan. Nave, rest of north aisle and upper stages of tower principally C15. Late C19 refenestration and reroofing. Slate roof of late C19 slates with ridge resting on nave chancel. West tower of 3 stages with pentagonal stairturret on north side with 6 small square openings. Embattled parapet set-back buttresses to first stage only with elongated gravestone apparently designed to be fixed onto eastern buttress of south wall. Small square- headed opening on south and east side of second stage and four 2-light cusped bell- openings with quatrefoil tracery in the heads, pierced in east and south wall but blocked to north and west. All have pointed labels with returned ends. Slate louvres below tracery. Mostly recut Perpendicular window at west end and C15 west door with Pevsner 'B-type' moulding and flat-pointed arch. Embattled south porch with flat-pointed arch supported on Pevsner 'A-type' moulded piers. Small unceiled waggon roof of porch with some re-used timber. C14 south doorway with small foliated corbels. International timed sundial dated 1762 by one John Berry. Two square-headed perpendicular style windows of 3-lights with carved leaves in the spandrels to each side of porch. North arcade of 5 bays with 'B-type' piers. Capitals from western respond have 'Green man' foliage and berries then 3 fluerons between plain shields then two piers with interlaced fern and leaf decoration then one with continuous fern pattern and interlaced leaves in eastern respond. Unceiled waggon roofs to chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept. Some inserted timber to nave and chancel roof, but substantially intact. North aisle more complete with carved bosses in the intersections of the ribs. North aisle has 6 bays of straightheaded Perpendicular windows of 3 lights each with slightly curved arches. North door between second and third window from west end with hollow chamfered flat pointed arch with small round-headed niche above. C14 3- light window reset probably in C17, at east end of north aisle has pointed-arch heads under gentle ogee arches. South transept has raised plain wooden pointed arch door opening to blocked rood loft. Section of very fine early C16 rood screen spanning north aisle only. Pevsner 'A type' tracery and complete ribbed coving of 3 bays, now missing its gallery front but its gallery back remains. Richly carved panels recording the name of 'Sir John Beaupul', Parson of Marwood holding office in 1520. Renaissance influence in carving. Similar to work by the carver of Atherington screen. Large plasterwork Royal Arms at west end of north aisle 1763 datestone on its outside wall may indicate date of its erection. Early rectangular font bowl lies at west end of next to replacement front with cover carved by John Robinson. Some medieval floor tiles remain principally rear of new C17 pulpit. 13 C16 pews in nave 2.5 metres wide, with ornamental carved bench ends and moulded backs. 3 choir stalls on north side with misercords. Monuments. East wall of north aisle. Marble wall tablet with loric colonettes flanking inscription to Anne Chichester of Westcote (died 1664). On north wall of north aisle a monument by J Berry with urn and pedestal over Doric columns and frieze with inscription to an owner of Ley (died 1765). Medallion below has palmettes with hour-glass above north aisle north wall has marble wall monument to William Parminter (died in Panama - 1737). Inquisitor General for the South Sea Company and other members of his family. Inscription "This monument having lost its hold on the wall where it had been fixed-fell on the floor and was much mutilated. A grateful recollection of a respectable Ancestry imposed the necessity of its re-erection on a Surviving Descendant C1821'. Corinthian pillars surmounted by seated figures to each side of armorial shield and urn. Marble wall tablet on south wall of nave dated 1633. Ionic colonnettes to each side of tablet with hour glass in pendant. At west end on south wall nave a wall monument to William and Anthony Beard died 1652 aged 16 and 19. Two busts in high relief leaning on table with skull and hour glass. Shields above with plaque below and painted medallions with biblical inscriptions in surround to each side. Some Old Devon Churches by John Stabb 1908. Bells and bell frame not inspected; said to contain 6 bells cast in 1771.
Listing NGR: SS5440137562
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Stabb, J, Notes on some Old Devon Churches, (1908)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing