This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROYAL VICTORIA INFIRMARY ADMINISTRATION BLOCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL VICTORIA INFIRMARY ADMINISTRATION BLOCK

List entry Number: 1107175

Location

ROYAL VICTORIA INFIRMARY ADMINISTRATION BLOCK, QUEEN VICTORIA ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Mar-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 304805

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 2464 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE QUEEN VICTORIA ROAD (north side) 15/473 Royal Victoria Infirmary Administration Block G.V. II Hospital offices. Foundation stone 1900 by Prince of Wales; building 1901-1906. By W. L. Newcombe and Percy Adams, after consultation with-Sir A. Waterhouse. Sandstone ashlar ground floor, central pavilion, and central sections of end pavilions; remainder bright red brick with ashlar dressings. Roof of graduated Lakeland slate. 3 storeys and attics; 17 bays in all, with 3-bay centre and end pavilions. Central porte-cochere. Pilasters to pavilions with central top pediments, segmental over entrance bay. End pavilions have ground-floor central canted bay windows. All windows stone mullioned and transomed with leaded lights. 3 flat- headed dormers to each outer section; central attic in stone surround continuous with linking coped parapet. High roof, hipped over pavilions, with central lantern and high ashlar-corniced brick chimneys. Interior shows groined inner porch with 4 bronze commemorative plaques, recording gifts from Lord and Lady Armstrong and others;. Entrance hall and gallery panelled with inlay, in Baroque style; much flower decoration in stucco frieze and ceiling.

Listing NGR: NZ2445264979

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ2445264979

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2017 at 03:03:05.

End of official listing