This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SPRIVERS AND WALL ATTACHED

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SPRIVERS AND WALL ATTACHED

List entry Number: 1107213

Location

SPRIVERS AND WALL ATTACHED, LAMBERHURST ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Horsmonden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 169898

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORSMONDEN LAMBERHURST ROAD TQ 63 NE (west side) 3/62 Sprivers and wall attached 20-10-54 GV II*

House. C15, extended C16 and altered and extended 1756 for Alexander Courthope. Timber framed core clad with red brick and tile hung to rear and extended with red brick. Plain tiled roofs. Older wing of hall house origin. Main block of 2 storeys and attic on plinth with moulded brick plat band and eaves cornice to hipped roof with stacks to rear left and right and with 3 pedimented dormers, that to centre with segmental pediment. Regular fenestration of 5 glazing bar sashes on first floor and 4 on ground floor with central doubled doors of 4 raised and fielded panels with lion head door knockers in panelled surround with keyed architrave and pediment on Doric pilasters and with flight of 3 steps. Left return with glazing bar sash on first floor and C19 canted bay on ground floor. Right return wing of 2 storeys and attic at lower level with identical moulded details as front block, 6 pedimented dormers and with semi-circular headed glazing bar sash stair window with keyed surround, the imposts and keystone inscribed:

AC 17 56

with the fleur-de-lys emblem of the Courthopes. The rear wing, incorporating the original timber framed building, clad at same time as front wing with red brick on both floors to front elevation, tile hung on first floor to rear elevation, with moulded plinth and plat bands, half hipped roof, half hipped dormers and stacks ranged left to right. Irregular wooden casements on both elevations and boarded and panelled doors irregularly placed. Attached and extending from south end of rear wing a red brick wall, in part in English bond, about 7 feet in height with buttresses and coping and gateway openings. Interior: rear wing with full frame visible with arched braces and close studded walls, extended C16 with queen strut roofed block, this section with chamfered and stopped cross beamed ceilings on nassive posts and with strapwork enriched Bethersden marble fireplaces on both floors; imported C17 wainscotting in upper room. C18 interiors include small entrance hall with very good quality rococo plaster cartouches with the Arms and badges of the Courthope and Lloyd families and with enriched modillion cornice to ceiling. All the principal rooms and corridors on both floors have similar cornices and also dado rails with simple fielded and beaded panelling, the left hand drawing room with egg and tongue surrounds to panelling. Moulded and lugged wooden fireplaces with rocaille scrolled friezes (the scrolls emanating from eagle heads). Stair hall with dog leg stair and half landing with ramped and moulded handrail with renewed " Chinese Chippendale " balustrade, dado and bead moulded panelling and with grooved and gadrooned cornice to coved ceiling with guilloched surround. Segmentally headed corridor openings and panelled doors with original door furniture throughout. Secondary stairs with original chinoiserie balustrade and ramped and moulded hand rail to upper flight and newel stair to attic with tenoned purlin roof. Kitchen semi-basment with very large fireplace with moulded cornice mantelpiece, fitted cupboards and ramped and moulded rail to stair. A manorial site passing from the Sprivers family to the Bathursts and by 1704 to the Courthope family (see Hasted,vol.V, 316-317).

Listing NGR: TQ6934039968

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 69340 39968

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107213 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2017 at 02:03:23.

End of official listing