This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEWTOWN METHODIST CHAPEL INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEWTOWN METHODIST CHAPEL INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1107231

Location

NEWTOWN METHODIST CHAPEL INCLUDING IRON RAILINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bishop's Nympton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97587

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 72 NE BISHOP'S NYMPTON NEWTOWN

2/55 Newtown Methodist Chapel including - iron railings

II

Wesleyan Methodist chapel. 1849 (datestone). Stone rubble, snecked on the south side, facing the road; slate roof, gabled at ends. Gothick. Plan: A small rectangular chapel with the entrance at the west end, a C19 lean-to at the east end. Exterior: 3 windows to the south side, 2 to the north, all 2-centred arched Gothick with intersecting glazing bars. The west end has a central 2-centred arched doorway with a recessed door flanked by 2-centred arched blind recesses painted with intersecting glazing bars. Datestone of 1849 with WESLEYAN CHAPEL above west door. The C19 east end lean-to has a doorway on the south side. C19 cast iron railings on a stone plinth form an enclosure at the west end and return along the south side. The railings at the west end have shaped brackets and are divided into bays by standards with spiky fleur de lis finials. Interior: Not inspected but has a C20 ceiling. A very unspoiled chapel externally.

Listing NGR: SS7645325190

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 76453 25190

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107231 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 11:10:32.

End of official listing