CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1107298
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 11:07:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
East Worlington
National Grid Reference:
SS 76992 13485

Details

EAST WORLINGTON WEST WORLINGTON SS 71 SE 8/33 Church of St Mary 20.2.67 GV I Anglican parish church. Predominantly C15, though tower C13 and chancel partly C14; C19 restoration. Coursed local rubble, coursed and squared to the tower, some Bathstone dressings; continuous gabled slated nave and chancel roof, clay ridge tiles, aisle with gabled roof with lead ridge, slate roof to porch with clay ridge, timber twisted broach spire to tower clad with shingles, restored 1908, lead capping, weathercock. Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch, west tower. Perpendicular style. Exterior: big broad squat tower with large quoins to west, 3-light west window with a stilted arch head, centre light reaching up to the apex, the flanking lights terminating lower down, label which continues as a weathered drip right around the tower; pointed-arch west doorway with 2 orders of cavetto mouldings, studded plank door; Spire restored after lightening strike, but retains some of its early structure. Nave with two 2-light trefoiled square-headed windows to the north, labels; similar window on north side of chancel, this appears replaced C19. 3-bayed aisle with 2-stage buttresses with offsets, fine-traceried 3-light Perpendicular windows. Small gabled porch, very plain outer door opening, inside slate floor, wooden bench to each side on a rubble base, C15 waggon roof with moulded ribs, bosses replaced C19, leaf frieze to wallplate, part original, part recarved; moulded Perpendicular inner door opening, C19 plank door, medieval style iron hinges. C13 style east window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery (replacing an earlier window of the same style?) Interior: plaster removed from walls except the chancel. Slate floors, except chancel with Victorian High Gothic encaustic tile pavement. Simple double-chamfered tower arch, probably C15. No chancel arch. 3-bay arcade to aisle with Pevsner's B- type piers with standard Devon capitals with angel figures, a mask, and blank shields as well as the usual leaf decoration. Aisle with C15 waggon roof, the same style as in the porch, moulded ribs, bosses (to centre with the Virgin and Child painted) cornice with a leaf frieze. C16 waggon roof to nave, restored C19, moulded ribs, painted bosses, wallplate with a pierced frieze. Ceiled C19 waggon roof in chancel. Good set of carved C16 bench ends, geometrical patterns, tracery and floral carving in relief, some C19 copies. Seat in aisle with back of Cl7 panelling; fielded pine dado panelling to north wall of nave and south wall of aisle. Good traceried parclose screen with Pevsner's A-type tracery. C14 piscina to chancel. Victorian High Gothic pulpit, lectern, altar rails and altar table. Wall monument to Thomas Stucle of 1663, with flanking Corinthian columns, pediment, strapwork ornament, cherubs and achievement, coloured and guilded. Late C19 wall monument. Painted plaque over south door: "John Cook Warden 1726". Georgian Royal Arms. Much old glass to windows, probably C18, clear panes with irregular canes. Fragments of medieval stained glass to top lights of west window of south aisle. Stained glass window to chancel dated 1890, window to aisle dated 1908. Under tower parish chest dated 1690, early C19 strong box, and charity plaque dated 1835. C15 ring-chamber floor, moulded ribs, framed in 6 panels.

Listing NGR: SS7699413487

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
97438
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/12195/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Micaela Basford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].