This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATE PIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS BOUNDING THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATE PIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS BOUNDING THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1107314

Location

GATE PIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS BOUNDING THE SOUTH SIDE OF CHURCHYARD OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Witheridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97477

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITHERIDGE CHURCH STREET (north side), SS 81 SW Witheridge 9/74 Gate piers, gates and railings - bounding the south side of churchyard of Church of St John the Baptist GV II Churchyard railings, gate piers and gates. Dated 1833. Low rubble plinth with freestone capping, spear-capped railings inset to leaded mortises, stanchions with scrolled supporting brackets. 2 gateways with tall panelled freestone piers, ball caps, similar wrought-iron gates. Further gateway added in similar style circa 1920 when a war-memorial was erected in the churchyard. Datestone adjacent to main gateway:- "ANNO DOMINI MD CCC XXX III".

Listing NGR: SS8032414550

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 29 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/206137
War Memorials Register, accessed 29 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/25990

National Grid Reference: SS 80323 14549

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 11:07:54.

End of official listing