This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WALLAFORD FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALLAFORD FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1107352

Location

WALLAFORD FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Buckfastleigh

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 99430

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST BUCKFASTLEIGH SX 76 NW

4/150 Wallaford Farmhouse - - II

Farmhouse. Circa late C15 or early C16. Hall floored and fireplace inserted in late C16 early C17 and lower end rebuilt and porch added in 1810. Datestone in gable of porch instribed "TW 1810". Plastered stone rubble. Asbestos slate roof with gabled ends. Rendered chimney stacks. Three rooms and through or cross-passage plan, originally with open hall later floored and lateral stack built on rear of hall, incorporating newel stairs (stack at gable end heating inner room). In 1810 lower end entirely rebuilt and through passage widened to take stairs and two storey porch added. Later outshuts at rear. The lower end to right rebuilt as full two storeys with lower pitched roof and gabled porch with a reused chamfered granite arch doorway and 1840 datestone in gable. The left hand higher end is one storey and attic with two small gables and a hipped roof porch in the angle with 1840 porch. C20 easements with leaded panes. At rear large lateral chimney stack incorporating newel stairs with gable over. Interior: Unstopped chamfered ceiling beam in hall. Said to be similar beam in inner room. Lateral hall fireplace with chamfered lintel with step stops. Wall between hall and inner room plastered and possibly connecting timber screen. Solid wall between hall and passage. Early C19 stairs inserted into widened through passage to form stair hall. Five roof trusses over hall and higher end one smoke-blackened and have morticed apices and morticed collars. Threaded purlins, only one purlin seen at rear of lower end of hall also smoke-blackened. Trusses cut for diagonal ridgepiece which is missing. The rafters are also missing.

Listing NGR: SX7221565862

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 72215 65862

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107352 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 04:45:42.

End of official listing