BULLHORNSTONE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107397

Date first listed: 27-May-1986

Statutory Address: BULLHORNSTONE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BULLHORNSTONE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 08:36:03.

Location

Statutory Address: BULLHORNSTONE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: South Brent

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX6788460041

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH BRENT - SX 66 SE

5/189 Bullhornstone - Farmhouse

- II

Farmhouse. Dated 1769, extended in C19. Granite rubble rendered at rear. Dry slate roof gabled at right hand higher end and hipped at lower left hand end. Three room plan with wide passage/stair hall between hall and lower room. Lateral stacks at rear of hall, smaller rear lateral stack to lower room, and another at higher gable end. Dairy wing containing second stairs added to rear of higher end and a lean-to outshut in the angle. The higher end room is possibly an addition or rebulding, for there is a straight joint in the masonry of the front wall, and it has its own direct entry of the front and a loft door in the higher gable end. However, the internal partition between higher end room and hall is of plastered stud construction and not of solid masonry to be expected of an external wall. Two storeys. Regular four window range, all with flat dressed stone arches and C20 three-light casements. Glazed and panelled door to left of centre with C19 gabled stone rubble porch. Datestone beneath eaves of centre inscribed 'W' over '1769'. Right hand doorway with C20 door. Rear has large projecting lateral hall stack of centre with set-offs. Right hand (lower room) internal lateral stack. Dairy wing to left (higher end) with half- hipped slate roof and lean-to outshut in the angle, overlapping the hall stack. Higher gable end of main range to north east has loft doorway. interior: Wide passage hall with original framed dog-leg stairs at rear with moulded string and handrail, turned balusters and square newels and with terminal column newel. Some C18 fielded two-panel doors survive. Lower room has alcoves on either side of blocked fireplace with panelled and fluted pilasters, kegblock in round arch, and cupboards below with diagonal cross panels, and with dentilled cornice to ceiling above. Lower room fireplace and hall fireplace blocked with C20 grates. Plastered stud internal partitions separating principal rooms. C19 secondary stairs at junction of rear dairy and inner room.

Listing NGR: SX6788460041

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 99333

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing