WHITEOXEN MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107409
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
27-May-1986
Statutory Address:
WHITEOXEN MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITEOXEN MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107409 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 12:05:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITEOXEN MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Dean Prior
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 72404 61881

Details

DEAN PRIOR - SX 76 SW 6/3 Whiteoxen Manor House (Formerly listed as 9-2-61 Whiteoxen)

II

House, formerly a farmhouse. Date 1703 on doorway lintel. Stone rubble. Slate roof both gable ends. Appears to be a three room plan with a central entrance between the right hand and centre rooms and the third service room to the left breaks the symmetry. Lean-to outshuts to rear. Rebuilt brick chimney stacks at gable ends and axial stack at left hand of centre room. Two storeys. Long overall six-window range. Symmetrical five-windows to right and with left hand window slightly more widely spaced. Chamfered granite two light stone mullion windows with casements with leaded panes. Two windows on first floor left and one on ground floor right are wooden. Granite doorway to right of centre with moulded four centred arch and C20 hipped slate hood. Interior: Moulded plaster overmantel over fireplace (chimney piece missing) on first floor right hand room (east) with fleur-de-lis and thistles and arabesque or animal frieze surround and date 1703. Roughly chamfered ceiling beams now exposed, and reused granite fireplace lintels.

Listing NGR: SX7240461881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99256
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].