This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DEAN COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DEAN COURT

List entry Number: 1107414

Location

DEAN COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Dean Prior

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 99271

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEAN PRIOR LOWER DEAN SX 76 SW

6/12 Dean Court

11-11-52

- II*

Farmhouse, divided into two tenements. Late C16. Stone rubble with granite quoins, mostly roughcast except for front porch. Bitumenised slate roof with gabled ends. Originally E-shaped on plan but east wing has been demolished. Two storeys. Two storeyed gabled porch to right of centre with moulded granite four-centred arch doorway with carved spandrels and label, relieving arch above and small blocked panel above that. Only the stops of the first floor corridor label remain. The side windows of the porch are moulded two-light granite mullioned and small convex diamond shaped squits below. Gabled wing to left and late C19 four-light hall windows between with C20 metal frame casements above. Three large rendered chimney stacks on rear wall. Later accretions at rear. Interior: Hall has slightly raised dais. The screen has moulded panelling, and fluted giant pilasters and entablature with rosettes on the frieze, elliptual tympanum over the two doors with radiating fluting. Hall ceiling renewed. Hall fireplace has granite jambs and renewed granite lintel. Moulded plaster arches at higher end of hall with moulded panels either side. Enormous nail-studded and moulded front door to screens passage with heavily moulded wooden doorframe. The door is complete with lock. The back doorway of screens passage also has heavily moulded doorframe. Victoria stairs in screens passage acroos screen. Two moulded wooden doorframes on landing. Small stone fireplace over porch with ogee arch. Some C18 panelled doors and panelled window shutters. Dean Court is said to have been built by John Giles, father of Sir Edward Giles (1566-1637) whose monument is in St Georges Church, Dean Prior gv. It seems probable that much of the building was undertaken by Sir Edward Giles.

Listing NGR: SX7328064782

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 73280 64782

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2017 at 11:02:55.

End of official listing