THE GLEBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107418
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Date of most recent amendment:
27-May-1986
Statutory Address:
THE GLEBE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GLEBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107418.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 16:13:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GLEBE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Holne
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 70160 69789

Details

HOLNE - SX 76 NW

4/14 The Glebe House (formerly listed as "The Vicarage") 9-2-61

- II

House, formerly the vicarage. Circa C18 house with cottage arnee remodelling of circa 1831 by Elliot of Ashlawton. Stone rubble, plastered on south and east fronts. Thatched hipped roof with deep eaves, with thin moulding to eaves soffit. L-shaped on plan. 2 storeys. East front 5 bays, not quite symmetrical. Circa 1832. Moulded cross mullion-transom casements with leaded panes and hood moulds. South entrance front similar but 3 bays with central fielded panel door and reveals. Cast iron verandah across south front with ornate spandrels and glass roof. Slate hung side and central stacks. Interior: staircase with stack balusters and wreather handrails ramped after column newels. Some C18 fielded panelled interior doors. Tablet on east front states that Charles Kingsley was born here in 1819. He was born on 12 June while his father was curate-in-charge of Holne for a few months.

Listing NGR: SX7016069789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99279
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05539/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ernie W. King. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].