This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1107421



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holne

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-May-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 99285

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/181 Pixies Hall - - II

Small country house. 1928, by Fred Harild of Totnes who had been articled to Lutyens. Drawings of this house exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1929. Devonian limestone rubble. Thatched hipped roof with deep eaves with eyebrows and boarded sofits, and with eyebrow dormers. Large end chimney stacks with set-offs and rendered shafts. The chimney breast at north end is pierced by window at ground storey level. One axial ridge stack off-centre. Vernacular revival style. Slightly curved almost butterfly plan with symmetrical elevations. 2 storeys. The entrance front is on the converse side. Central round arch entrance porch with recessed doorway with wide eyebrow dormer above and 2 short flanking hipped-roof wings, their thatched roofs on the outer sides narried down to lower level, that on right-hand side carried on square pier over small verandah. Garden front on the concave side has wide eyebrows at centre over glazed door with side lights and stone hood mould, flanked by straight-headed lancets and stone ovolo-moulded cross mullion transom windows. 5-light window on left hand and 3-light on right hand. All casement windows with leaded panes in iron frames and slate weathering to lintels. Nail- studded oak doors. Interior: largely intact interior. Ovolo moulded ceiling and joists with butt-stapps. Original nail-studded oak plank doors with cover moulds. Stone newel stairs with wooden balustrade at top and tapered newel post rising to lamp standard. Stone tiled hall floor. Stone Tudor-arch chimneypiece in dining room. Large open fireplace in drawing room with plain wooden chimneypiece with segmental arch and mantel shelf.

Listing NGR: SX7017369660

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX7017369660


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107421 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:32:29.

End of official listing