Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107445.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 23:52:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SX 60431 59365


SX 65 NW CORNWOOD CHURCHTOWN 11/30 29-3-60 Church of St Michael GV I

Parish Church. Circa 1300 west tower and east end of chancel. The rest mainly C15. Chancel largely rebuilt in 1867. Granite and with granite freestone dressings. Slate roofs. Rendered tower. Comprising nave, chancel, north and south transepts and north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. North and south aisles have 3-light Perpendicular windows. Buttresses with set-offs between north windows and moulded plinth below. North and south transepts have 4-light Perpendicular windows. Chancel east window is C19 of 3-lights. Moulded 4-central arch south doorway. Granite ashlar porch with diagonal buttresses with set-offs and moulded 3-centred arch doorway with spandrels and label. Short west tower with straight parapet, lancets at ball-openings, 3-light west window with recticulated tracery. Short buttress at base of each side. Square stair turret on north-east corner with lancets. Five bay north and south arcades with slender moulded monolithic granite piers, moulded caps and bases and wide moulded 4-centred arches. Similar arches to transepts. Ceiled wagon roof to nave aisles and transepts. C13 triple sedilia and piscina with cusped arches. Chancel has reredos of 1867 and reredos around the walls in alabaster. Altar rail is also alabaster. Early C16 stone altar in south aisle with strapwork and shields in panels. Furnishings largely late C19 except for early C17 parallel and carved octagonal pulpit. Good wall monuments to'local families including: Robert Bellmaine and wife 1627. John Savery 1696. Thomas Vivian 1793. Sir John and Dane Mary Rogers 1759. Late C16/early C17 monument in south aisle with 2 kneeling figures.

Listing NGR: SX6043259366


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04416/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Richards. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].