TAVY BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107480
Date first listed:
02-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
TAVY BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TAVY BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107480 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 09:22:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
TAVY BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Bickleigh
County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Bere Ferrers
National Grid Reference:
SX4502461499

Details

BICKLEIGH SX 46 SW 4/17 SX 46 SE 3/17

River Tavy

Tavy Bridge

II

Railway bridge over the estuary of the River Tavy. Circa 1889-90. Eight spans of iron bowstring braced girders on seven pairs of iron-clad circular piers with pedimental caps. The iron bridge spans the deep-water channel. Either end, over the tidal mud is bridged with a stone viaduct of segmental arches, seven at the south-east end and two at the north-west end. The Plymouth Devonport South-Western Junction Railway Company was formed in 1883 and this line from Lydford to Devonport was opened in 1890. The line was operated by the LSWR which had a small capital holding in the Company. The LSWR eventually took over in 1922.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1309275. That entry was removed from the List on 22 September 2016.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22 September 2016.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99120
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14609/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J. Rippon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].