This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1107553

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brayford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 98883

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAYFORD SS 63 SE 3/9 Church of St John the Baptist - 20.2.67 GV II

Parish Church. Probably C15 fabric to chancel nave and tower, the latter largely rebuilt in 1620, the whole heavily restored 1885. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave and chancel and south porch. West tower of 2 stages, unbuttressed, with embattled parapet. Single light bell-openings to each face. Rectangular stair turret on north side. C19 fenestration to nave and chancel. South side nave has one 2-light and a 3-light pointed arched windows, chancel a single light window. 3-light stepped lancet window at east end of chancel. Two 2-light windows to north side of nave. South porch has C15 virtually semi-circular headed doorway with hollow-chamfered and roll moulded surround. Interior: plain ceiled waggon roofs to nave with moulded ribs and to chancel with variously carved bosses at the intersections. C20 nave seating and furniture. Font, 1727, with fluted bowl on baluster shaft. C17 wall monument on chancel north wall to members of Gregorie family including George Gregorie, rector and patron of the parish d.1719. Broken pediment with reclining cherubs and achievement. Skulls flanking oval medallion in base.

Listing NGR: SS6874832966

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 68748 32966

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 10:28:16.

End of official listing