GROUP OF 7 HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1 METRE SOUTH OF BRAYFORD BAPTIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107557
Date first listed:
13-May-1987
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 7 HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1 METRE SOUTH OF BRAYFORD BAPTIST CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 7 HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1 METRE SOUTH OF BRAYFORD BAPTIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107557 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 20:50:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 7 HEADSTONES APPROXIMATELY 1 METRE SOUTH OF BRAYFORD BAPTIST CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Brayford
National Grid Reference:
SS 68658 34724

Details

BRAYFORD BRAYFORD SS 63 SE 3/8 Group of 7 headstones - approximately 1 metre south of Brayford Baptist Church GV II

Group of 7 headstone. Early C19. Slate. William Crocker d. 1840 with scalloped decoration to the corners. Jabez Lyle d.1829 with inscription 'If God be pleased and his glorified Creatures be pleased who are we that we should be displeased'. Edward Wedlake d.1829 'who was sent forth to preach the gospel by the church in this place' Mary Winzer d.1830. Jane Cutcliffe d.1836 and William Cutcliffe d.1847 by Philip Pile, Bratton. Mary Gould d.1826 with inscription 'she was one of the first in this part of the Kingdom who followed the Primitive Christians in the Ordinance of Believers Baptism'. Joseph Gould d.1817 with inscription 'He was a man of piety, given to hospitality, a lover of the poor; but, above all, a promoter of vital Christianity' etc. This stone was reputedly ejected from Charles parish churchyard and remains buried here. D Thompson, 'A Book of Remembrance : Baptist Churches in North Devon', 1885.

Listing NGR: SS6865834724

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98890
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, D , A Book of Remembrance Baptist Churches in North Devon, (1885)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/09774/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Ireland. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].