Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107558.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 06:26:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 68934 34319


BRAYFORD HIGH BRAY SS 63 SE 9/92 Church of All Saints - 25.2.65

GV I Parish Church. Features mainly of the C15 or early C16 and of the 1873 restoration by Ashworth, but undoubtedly earlier fabric to nave and chancel which are built of small shale rubble. Stone rubble to south aisle, and roughly dressed stone blocks to tower. Dressed stone quoins and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with gable ends. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle. West tower of 3 stages. Setback buttresses with offsets. Crenellated parapet with a small corner obelish pinnacles and moulded stone cornice with grotesque gargoyles at each corner, to the centre of each face and at each angle of the polygonal stair turret to north side. 4-centred arched bell-openings with dressed stone voussoirs of 2 hollow-chamfered lights with louvres to each side. Straight-headed window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with small diamond leaded cames to 2nd stage on south side. Cl5/early C16 Perpendicular west window of 3 lights with cavetto mullions above 4- centred arched double hollow chamfered west doorway with hoodmould. C19 plank door. South aisle has 4 straight-headed Perp windows of 3 cavetto-mullioned 4- centred arched lights with hoodmoulds. Projecting plinth with horizontal ashlar capping forming a kind of raised walkway to right side of porch and running around to east end of south aisle. Gabled south porch with C19 porch doorway with nookshafts and moulded surround. Plastered barrel vaulted porch ceiling with plain moulded timber wall-plates. Round arched south doorway with moulded surround and ancient semi-circular headed door of 2 wide studded planks with wrought-iron straps, ledged with ancient lock. Slate sundial on south wall of south aisle dated 1717 with churchwardens initials. 2 C19 Perpendicular style windows at east end with pointed arches, 3 lights and hoodmould. 2 Perpendicular straight-headed windows to north side of three 4-centred arched lights, one with chamfered mullions, the other with cavetto mullions. Interior: 4-bay arcade with Pevsner 'B type' piers with foliated capitals, removed from each end respond, the 2 outer piers having shields at the corners, that at west end on south side carved in shape of human head. Stone flag floors to nave and chancel. Perpendicular ceiled waggon roofs to nave, south aisle and chancel with plain moulded ribs, but no bosses. Crenellated wall plates to nave and chancel roofs, which are separated by a corbelled out barrel valuted truss. Pointed triple hollow chamfered west tower arch. 3 sections of the rood screen have been reused as part of the base of the partition closing off this arch. Central door panel much renovated. 4 lights to each section with foliated mouldings to the arches and surrounds. Norman font with zig-zag frieze to top of circular bowl with later scalloped design added at the base, on circular stem and recut base. C19 nave and chancel seating, pulpit and carved angel lectern. Early C20 wooden reredos. C19 segmental pointed arched double sedilia with 2 cusped headed arches divided by central moulded pendant. East window has stained glass dated 1919.

Listing NGR: SS6893534320


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].