INSTOW SIGNAL BOX

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107599
Date first listed:
23-Oct-1978
Statutory Address:
INSTOW SIGNAL BOX

Map

Ordnance survey map of INSTOW SIGNAL BOX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107599 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 23:53:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
INSTOW SIGNAL BOX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Instow
National Grid Reference:
SS 47361 30117

Details

INSTOW THE QUAY SS 43 SE 1/88 Instow Signal Box 23.10.78 GV II Railway signal box. 1861. Stone rubble with weatherboarded upper storey. Hipped slate roof. Lateral brick stack with offsets to rear. Rectangular on plan. 2 storeys. Upper storey has twin 16-paned horizontal sliding sashes to front, 12- paned horizontal sliding sash at right end, two 6-paned windows to rear and external wooden staircase to first floor doorway at left end with 4-panelled door, the upper panels glazed. Plank door to ground floor below. Much of the machinery still intact, fitted with a frame of 16 levers by Stevens and Co. The box was closed in 1979. Built for the Bideford Extension Railway (opened 1855) later London and South Western Railway.

Listing NGR: SS4736130117

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98792
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11046/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].