PAIR OF GRAVESTONES AT HEAD AND FEET OF STANBURY CHILDREN GRAVE CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107603
Date first listed:
29-May-1986
Statutory Address:
PAIR OF GRAVESTONES AT HEAD AND FEET OF STANBURY CHILDREN GRAVE CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, RECTORY LANE, EX39 4LU

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAIR OF GRAVESTONES AT HEAD AND FEET OF STANBURY CHILDREN GRAVE CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107603 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 05:21:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAIR OF GRAVESTONES AT HEAD AND FEET OF STANBURY CHILDREN GRAVE CIRCA 5 METRES SOUTH OF EAST END OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN BAPTIST, RECTORY LANE, EX39 4LU

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Instow
National Grid Reference:
SS 47984 30980

Details

SS 43 SE, 1/101

INSTOW, RECTORY LANE, Instow Town, Pair of gravestones at head and feet of Stanbury Children grave circa 5 metres south of East End of Church of St John Baptist

GV

II

Pair of Gravestones. 1690. Stone. Double segmental heads. Headstone has incised skulls and hour glass. To left and right respectively, inscriptions to Agnes and George Stanbury, daughter and son of Richard Stanbury who both died 1st March 1690, aged 15 and 11. Stone at foot of grave with weathered inscription recording their deaths by small pox.

Listing NGR: SS4798430980

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98805
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11246/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].