DOWNREW FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107716

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: DOWNREW FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOWNREW FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107716 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 17:44:33.

Location

Statutory Address: DOWNREW FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Bishop's Tawton

National Grid Reference: SS 59172 28973

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPS TAWTON SS 52 NE 10/2 Downrew Farmhouse - GV II

Farmhouse. Undoubtedly earlier fabric concealed by 1628 remodelling. Right side stone rubble to first storey, cob above, left side stone built, the whole rendered over. Slate roofs, raised to right side with gable end brick stack and axial stone rubble stack backing onto passage with drip and brick shaft. 3 cell, formerly through-passage plan, now with rear access infilled. The lower end may well have once been used as a shippon. Stair turret to rear of hall enclosed in 1628 right- angled 2-storied rear extension (dated beam now covered over). 2 storeys with stairs to attic storey. 5 window range. C20 fenestration throughout, all 2 light casements except to hall and room over which are 3-light windows. Gabled porch to through-passage doorway. Interior: 3 stop-chamfered beams to high hall ceiling. Plank and muntin screen at upper end of hall with unusually wide planks of 6 sections with inserted doorway and part of screen said to be papered over at the left end. 2 small 4-paned windows inserted at right end. Dias settle still in situ with carved bench end. A similar screen is said to survive behind the present partition to the lower end. 2 doors each with 2 large fielded panels to first floor rooms. Two C17 trusses over raised upper end with straight principals and 2 tiers of threaded purlins. 2 trusses over lower end of unusual construction with principals straight at the feet but curving steeply inwards towards the apex where they meet and are peg-jointed together. It is possible that these are reused cruck blades with short curved feet which have been reversed. C20 roof structure superimposed.

Listing NGR: SS5917228973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 98480

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing