EASTACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING GRANARIES AND PUMP HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107740
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1965
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Jan-1985
Statutory Address:
EASTACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING GRANARIES AND PUMP HOUSE, EASTACOMBE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EASTACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING GRANARIES AND PUMP HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107740.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 13:34:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
EASTACOMBE FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING GRANARIES AND PUMP HOUSE, EASTACOMBE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Heanton Punchardon
National Grid Reference:
SS 50414 35645

Details

HEANTON PUNCHARDON EASTACOMBE LANE, Heanton SS 53 NW Punchardon 8/181 Eastacombe Farmhouse and 25.2.65 adjoining granaries and Pump- House GV II

Farmhouse and adjoining granaries and pump-house. C16,possibly earlier core (1597 datestone in porch) partially refronted in C18 (1735 carved in right hand ground floor window jamb) and large C19 wing added to rear. Principally cob and shale faced in laced and dressed stone to left and squared rubble to right of cob porch cased in rubble. Slate roof, hipped at left end, gable-ended to right. Single room each side of central passage with 2-storey gable-ended porch to front and projecting stair turret to rear, also gable-ended. Outshut added in the angle to east with lean-to slate roof and right-angled long extension to rear left end forming L-shape plan to dwelling, further extended northwards with granaries and outbuildings projecting eastwards to complete overall 3-side courtyard plan. Brick stack at right gable end of main range and lateral stack to rear of cell to left now encased in extension. 2 storey, 3 window range. 2- storey gabled porch almost at centre with 2-light casement with 12 panes each light over stone roll-moulded porch doorway possibly reset with depressed Tudor arch with plain spandrels. Datestone near wallheight top right of front with inscription :F 20 B 1597 E 40 R. Fine Cl7 inner doorway, square-headed with chamfered surround and heavily carved ornamentation near the base of the jambs. Ancient framed and ledged door of 3 wide planks with cover strips and square-headed nails. To either side of porch, C20 3-light timber casements on each floor in altered window openings with cambered brick arches, that at top left retaining C18/19 12-paned casements. L 11 1735 carved in right hand ground floor window jamb. Further inverted stone at wall-height near right end initialled GLELRL. At right gable end, 2-light above single light window in slight narrow 2-storey projection accommodating garderobe. Rear C19 wing has 2 axial brick stacks and 3-window range of sashes 8 panes over 8 panes on each floor with flat brick arches. Granaries extend northwards then at right angles to east with hipped end to slate roof and external stone steps to 2 plank doors with loft door to right. 2 plank doors below with brick arches. Single-storey rubble extension to right with slate roof and central opening. Adjoining east end of granary and projecting into courtyard is small rectangular pump-house with hipped slate roof, open to front and north side. In main range, much of the internal joinery is intact with stopped and chamfered door frames to majority of rooms, early doors to principal cell to left of passage and to upper storey of porch. Winder staircase with moulded handrail and square newels with stick balusters to first flight only. Roof not inspected.

Listing NGR: SS5041435645

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98430
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14015/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Warlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].