CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107743 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Jun-2019 at 22:36:03.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- Heanton Punchardon
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 50215 35587
SS 53 NW HEANTON PUNCHARDON HEANTON PUNCHARDON
8/186 Church of St Augustine 25.2.65
Parish Church. C13 and later. Tower and aisle of coursed dressed stone with some laced stone in 2nd tower stage. Nave, chancel, south and north porches of random rubble. Slate roofs with C19 crested ridge tiles. Nave and chancel probably incorporate earlier fabric but both heavily remodelled in late C15/early C16 when west tower and north aisle were added. Windows in north aisle suggest possibly early C17 refenestration and 1675 datestone below east window may indicate rebuilding of gable end wall of chancel. North aisle arcade rebuilt and piers remodelled in C18 or early C19. Nave and chancel refenestrated in C19. West tower of 3 stages with setback buttresses. Embattled parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles. Internal stair turret on north side with 7 openings all slits except third from ground which is a quatrefoil panel. Blind quatrefoil panels in first stage of tower on north, south and west walls, those to west and south contain shields. Large pointed-arched bell-openings on all sides of 3 lights with cusped and traceried heads with hoodmoulds. Single light bell-opening with ferrimentor and flat hoodmould in second stage of east wall, 3-light traceried west window with hollow-chamfered surround above Tudor-arched west doorway with triple hollow chamfered surround and hoodmould. North porch doorway with plain pointed arch. Tudor-arched north doorway with moulded surround. Four 3-light cavetto-mullion windows to north aisle with depressed arches and hoodmoulds with labell stops. 2-light transomed vestry window with hoodmould. 3-light east window, partially recut and inserted in former larger opening. Small datestone WM 1675 below. C19 fenestration on south side, pointed arches to the nave, square-headed to chancel. Priests door with large dressed jamb stones and alternating stone and brick voussoirs. Plain rubble south porch doorway with slate sundial over dated 1795 by Jn and Thos Berry. Undecorated barrel ceiling. Double chamfered south doorway, probably C13 with ancient pointed arch ledged plank door. Interior: Late C18/early C19. Arcade of 5 bays with depressed arches supported on wave-moulded piers with thin cornices unusually set square rather than diagonally. Tall, double, hollow chamfered west tower arch with quatrefoil panel inset in wall to right. Aisle and nave have fine ceiled waggon roofs, aisle roof of smaller panels, each roof with variously carved bosses in the intersections of the ribs and longitudinal members. 4-centred arch vestry door with moulded surround and ancient door inserted in larger pointed arch opening with large rough keystone. Many walls and reveals subjected to C20 replastering. Perp- screen to chancel with small angels carrying shields in the uprights of Pevsner 'A' type tracery, heavily restored in late C19, the coving almost entirely replaced. C20 screen to north aisle. Octagonal stone font with faceted base to bowl supported on squat central column and 4 corner colonettes on square base. Fittings include 2 late C16 or early Cl7 chairs in sanctuary with carved backs and C20 pews. Monuments: Very fine early C16 table top tomb to Richard Coffin (died 1523) in north chancel wall. Ornate Tudor arch to canopy of floriated pendants and intermediate pierced trefoils supported on stopped and chamfered jambs, the attached shafts cut down at top. Initials of R.C. in each of the foliated spandrels surmounted by demi-angel bearing shield in centre of foliated frieze with short fleur-de-lis bars to headrail. Base of 2 tiers of 6 quatrefoil panels with square linen-fold centres to the upper tier and floriated centres below. Above tomb 2 wall monuments to members of Ballyman family, both with ancient colour decoration. That to left dated 1695 with scalloped base above winged and wreathed skull. Cherubs heads to each side of oval medallion and 2 above in draped and palmette surround. That to right has oval medallion with cherubs heads over and putti each side reclining on plinth with winged cherubs bust between the console. Painted Royal Arms of George III over south door. 4 good marble wall monuments to Bassets of Heanton Court in family chapel in north aisle, all with some ancient colour decoration. Elizabeth Basset (died 1635). Praying female figure, kneeling, in high relief under shoulder-headed arch with flanking Ionic colonnettes with shields above and inscription below: "Should monuments Goe by merit, then Surely Thine with Pretious Stone and Orient Pearls should shine. But since thy world of worthy world doth know this marble stone may serve thy name to show." John Basset (died 1660) Ionic colonnetes supporting scrolled pedmont. Arthur Basset (died 1672) Corinthian Colonettes with broken pediment and cherubs flanking Classical urn. Trophied surround to oval medallion supported on cherub- headed consoles. John Basset (died 1686). Cherubs heads in foliated surround to oval medallion with segmental pediment with central shield and reclining putti to each side. Skull and flanking cherubs in base. Belfry not inspected.
Listing NGR: SS5021735584
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing