- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- TWITCHEN HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107748.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2021 at 05:27:24.
- Statutory Address:
- TWITCHEN HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 46514 44875
SS 44 SE MORTEHOE
3/202 Twitchen House - - II
Large house. 1881 for Dr Longstaff. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings to the openings. Some planted timber framing and slate-hanging to upper storeys. Scantle slate roofs, with range of moulded brick stacks variously 2, 3 and 4 shafts with corbelled caps. Complex irregular plane. 3 large parallel gable-ended cross-wings that to right set back and separated from other two by connecting part of entrance hall and with 2 gable-ended projections facing north in the angle of the rear projection. 2 further gable ended projections at each end. Old English/Jacobethan style. 2-storeys and attic storey with carved bargeboards, some with moulded apex finals and moulded bressumers to the jettied gable ends, paticularly ornate at south gable end. Asymmetrical disposition of mullioned and transomed windows, mostly with small panes with various diamond,lozenge and square pattern cames. First floor windows are mainly of timber with moulded mullions, ground floor splayed stone mullion and transom windows. Single-storey porch on west side across the angle of the recessed right-hand entrance hall and cross-wing. Double- chamfered porch surround with four-centred arch, foliated spandrels and scultpured griffin in high relief to right side of debased fleur-de-lys frieze. Heraldic shield in stone panel above bearing 1881 date. To right of porch two 3-light windows, the lower windows with stained glass in the upper part of the central transomed lights. Cross-wing to right breaks forward slightly with attic window over large 2-storey canted bay window with stained glass. Gable-ended projection at right end has grotesque head carved in the coving of the jetty to 3-light oriel window. Single storey parapeted extension in the right-hand angle of the projection. On east side, this cross-wing has attic 3-light window over two 6- light windows. Decorated rainwater head C B L in angle. A 8 8 D. Much of the original interior decoration and fittings are intact with Morris details and de Morgan tiled grates. Geometrical-patterned plaster ceilings to the principal rooms in south wing and entrance hall where most of the features are concentrated. Principal room has bolection moulded panels of gold-embossed leather with plasterwork frieze above. Minstrel gallery on south side with arcade of 3 semi-circular arches, richly carved and supported on turned balusters. Richly carved chimneypiece incorporates some late C16 or early C17 panelling. Ante-room also has decorated plasterwork ceiling and richly carved chimneypiece with Atlantes. 2 adjacent 4-centred arched doorways with foliated spandrels with original painted decorations give access to entrance hall which contains large staircase with barleysugar balusters and large newel posts with acorn finials. Dining-room has screen with central 4-centred arch supported on colonnettes. Gabled attic rooms with round-arched doorways in the south cross-wing have barrel ceilings supported on colonnades of turned balusters with carved heads in the capitals. Master bedroom has carved chimneypiece. Stained glass by Selwyn Image (c.f. Mortehoe Church q.v.). Painted mural depicting Canterbury Tales scene, now in kitchen.
Listing NGR: SS4651444875
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing