CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107755 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:47:34.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 46488 39887
SS 43 NE GEORGEHAM CHURCH ROAD (north side)
7/118 Church of St George - 25.2.65 GV I
Parish Church, C13 fabric to nave, south aisle possibly C14, both rebuilt in C15 when west tower was added. Church classicized in 1762 but most features removed and chancel rebuilt in 1876. Restoration by J Fowler of Louth. Random stone rubble with large blocks to tower. Ashlar dressings to openings and dressed stone quoins. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles, coped gable ends and apex crosses. Tall round shaft with lipped cap to vestry stack. West tower of 3 stages with set back buttresses. Embattled parapet and stair turret with 4 slit windows to north side. Bell-openings with ogee-arched lights, 2-lights on each side except to north, which is single light, all with hoodmoulds. Weatherings to former higher roof pitch to nave on east side, with stair turret window in 2nd stage. West side has pointed arched 4-light window with labelled hoodmould above pointed arched C15 doorway with hollow moulded surround with fleurons and foliated emblems and single ecclesiastical bust around the moulding. Pointed arched hoodmould with weathered human head corbels. Plank door. South side has single-light square headed window at top of first stage. West end of south aisle has 2-light pointed arched window with hoodmould. Rainwater head in angle dated 1876. South aisle has 3 pointed arched windows, 3 cusped headed lights each with hoodmoulds. Buttress with offsets flanking upper 2 windows, and dated rainwater head. South porch has semicircular headed slate sundial dated 1773 above pointed arched entrance with chamfered surround and human head corbels to the hoodmould. Pointed arched inner door with deep chamfered surround. C19 framed and ledged pointed arch door. Blocked pointed arched window to east end of south aisle. 2-light window to south side of chancel with label stops to hoodmould. Pointed arched 3-light east window with hoodmould. Quatrefoil window on north side 1876 rainwater head in the angle of chancel and vestry, which has pointed arched doorway on east side with hoodmould an foliated corbels. Buttresses flanking 3-light pointed arched window on north side. Three 3-light windows to nave with pointed arches and hoodmoulds with buttresses flanking lower 2 windows. Interior: Unmoulded pointed tower arch. Deeply incised ogee arched doorway to stair turret. Wooden charity board on south wall of tower. Unceiled waggon roofs to nave and south aisle with carved bosses at each of the intersections. Arcade of 5 bays with Pevsner 'B' type piers with leaf capitals to the main shafts. The fifth bay (to south chancel chapel) has double arch, the chancel side being C19 in similar style. C19 nave furnishings. The stone pulpit with panelled insets to the three sides with short marble colonnettes supporting enriched arches. Square bowl of early font, with chamfered sides lies near base of pulpit. Blocked ogee-arched doorway behind pulpit. Elaborate C19 reredos with crocketted pinnacles, double steeply pointed arches to each side with marble colonnettes and painted figures in each of the 4 panels. Stone carved panel of Last Supper to centre C13 ogee-arched piscina in south wall of chancel and another C13 piscina in south chancel chapel. C18 wooden screen to south chancel chapel restored in 1912, fluted Ionic pilasters. Demi-panels to each side and central semicircular archway with barleysugar shafts. Broken segmental pediment above the achievement in centre. Stone panel on north chancel wall, reset in C19 c.1300 depicting the Crucifixion. Mutilated heads to Christ and two flanking figures with weeping angels to each end of the Cross. Stone effigy in segmental arched niche in south wall of south chancel chapel, said to be Mauger of St Aubyn (died 1294) cross-legged knight with 2 dogs at feet, sword, sheild and supportive angels. Elaborate C17 monuments across the angle of the chapel to the Newcourt family of Pickwell. Cherubs at base of Ionic colonnettes flank 6 roundels with busts in each niche with some original painted decoration. Large marble monument erected 1776 on east wall of chapel to John Hams of Pickwell Esq. "twice M.P. for Barnstaple, died 1768" and family. Marble bust above two putti flanking profile of Mrs Harris standing on marble base. Tablet in south wall of aisle to John Heddon gent of South Hole, died 1831 and wife died 1853 by J Gould of Barnstaple. Wall monument on north slde of nave to Edward Richards gent and family, late C18. Broken pediment with central achievement. Console to base flanking shield. Unusual late C16 tablet on north chancel wall to Iohannis Berry, rector with Greek and Latin inscription.
Listing NGR: SS4649039887
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing