This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1107808



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Holbeton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SX6150 HOLBETON HILLSIDE, HOLBETON 12/76 29/3/60 Church of All saints

GV I Parish Church. Late C13 to early C14 west tower and spire, remainder circa early C16. Well restored by J.D. Sedding and completed in 1889. Coursed slate rubble with granite dressings including moulded granite plinth. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one with large five-light four-centred arch east window with Perpendicular panel tracery. Buttresses with set-offs, set back from the corners at the east end. Long north and south aisles. The north aisle with Perpendicular intersecting traceried window and Perpendicular panel traceried window at the east end. The south aisle has restored Perpendicular windows and four-centre arch south doorway with carved spandrels. North and south transepts also Perpendicular. Late C19 porch with reset four-centre arch doorway and late C19 wrought iron gate. Tall plain C13/14 west tower in three stages with slightly set back butresses with set-offs. Corbelled embattled parapet and tall octagonal recessed stone spire. Cusped lancet bell-openings with hood moulds, three on east and west and one on north and south sides. Stair turret on the north side projecting externally up to belfry only. Chamfered two-centred arch west doorway with hood mould and restored Perpendicular window above. Interior: Spacious interior with broad nave, five bay north and south arcades with wide moulded four-centred arches and granite monolithic piers with alternating shafts and hollows and with moulded capitals and bases. Carved leaf capitals on aisle chapel arcades. Similar transept arches. Tall two-centred tower arch with imposts. Squints from aisles and transepts. Late C19 unceiled wagon roof by Sedding with carved bosses, some reused and with angels in the chancel. Fine early-mid C16 screens restored by Sedding. Good furnishings by Sedding including screens, choir stalls, benches,sedilia, wainscot, lectern and south door. Late C19 carved stone pulpit and marble font. Norman font with flat square bowl. Monuments: In north chapel to Hele family circa 1625 with 22 kneeling figures in four tiers with central reclining effigy of Sir Thomas Hele in armour. Small C17 pedimented wall monument to left hand. 1698 wall monument in south aisle. Peter Perring 1796 in south transept. Elizabeth Bulteel 1835 in chancel with female figure standing over a sarcophagus. James Bulteel and family 1801 by Coade and Sealy with large putti and urn. Reference: Transactions of the Devonshire Association 1900 Vol. 32 pages 552-579 and 1932 Vol. 64 pages 485-496. Transactions of Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society 3rd Series Vol. 1 page 60.

Listing NGR: SX6130250183

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 1, (), 60
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 32, (1900), 552-579
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 64, (1932), 485-496

National Grid Reference: SX 61300 50183


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107808 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 05:42:15.

End of official listing