WEST SHERFORD FARM HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING ADJOINING ON NORTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107829

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1952

Statutory Address: WEST SHERFORD FARM HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING ADJOINING ON NORTH EAST

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST SHERFORD FARM HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING ADJOINING ON NORTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107829 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 13:08:03.

Location

Statutory Address: WEST SHERFORD FARM HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDING ADJOINING ON NORTH EAST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: Brixton

National Grid Reference: SX 54866 53471

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 55 SW BRIXTON 3/22 23/4/52 West Sherford Farm House including outbuilding adjoining on north east

GV II

Farmhouse and adjoining outbuilding. Circa C16 with C17 alterations and additions. Stone rubble. Steeply pitched slate roof with gabled, half-hipped and hipped ends. Two storeys. Long six window range. The west part appears to have been heightened in C17 and extended at front by two bays with hipped roofs and four-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion windows with hood moulds, the ground floor windows have four-centred arch lights. To the right at centre, a cross-passage doorway with four-centred arch and roll moulding with large rendered chimney stack at side, with set-offs. Two-light granite window above doorway. The lower right hand (east) end has a range of casements, stack on the rear, wall and an outbuilding at right angles, to north east with external stairs to loft and pigeon holes. At the west end a two-storey, one-bay late C19 addition. At the rear (north) a late C18/C19 wing. Interior: main fireplace in the hall is blocked. The room east of the cross-passage has stopped chamfered ceiling beams and fireplace with chamfered wooden bressumer. Fireplace is in the C17 extension at front has plain chamfered granite chimneypiece. West Sherford was granted after 1582 to Francis Drake after his circumnavigation. The former provisional lists states:- "The main block has high pitched roof, which retains some arched principals. It is possible that originally the principal room was on the first floor". Reference: Transactions of the Devonshire Association 1945 Vol. 77 page 128-130.

Listing NGR: SX5486653471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 100303

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 77, (1945), 128-130

End of official listing