This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER LLOYDS BANK (BROADHEATH BRANCH) AND POST OFFICE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER LLOYDS BANK (BROADHEATH BRANCH) AND POST OFFICE

List entry Number: 1107853

Location

FORMER LLOYDS BANK (BROADHEATH BRANCH) AND POST OFFICE, 139 AND 141, MANCHESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Trafford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212768

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/11/2017

SJ 78 NE, 7/14

ALTRINCHAM, MANCHESTER ROAD (west side), Nos. 139 and 141 (Former Lloyds Bank (Broadheath branch) and Post Office)

II

Bank and Post Office. 1902 above doorway, 1903 on fireplace. Thomas Worthington and Son. Ashlar, brick and slate roof. Four bays, three storeys with banking hall on ground floor and wings to the rear of bays 1 and 4. Ashlar ground floor with semi-circular headed doorway to bay 1 with coffered soffit and elaborate cartouche in place of a keystone. Raised lettering beside the archivolt reads "FORMERLY CUNLIFFE BROOKS & CO". Bays 2 and 3 have 3-light window openings with stone mullions, semi-elliptical heads and keystones, and bay 4 is similar but houses the Post Office shop front. Above a stone cornice the upper storeys are recessed in the centre bays, have stone quoins and an eaves cornice. Bays 1 and 4 each have two cross-windows with architrave surround to each floor, and bays 2 and 3 have 2-storey canted bay-windows with mullion and transom windows. Between them is an elaborate heraldic cartouche with the words "Finem respice" inscribed below. Coped gables with kneelers and two ridge stacks with stone bands and cornices. Banking hall has good coffered ceiling, stone fireplace, glazed tiles, doors, ironmongery etc.

Listing NGR: SJ7665189187

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 76651 89187

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107853 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 10:10:06.

End of official listing