This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRIXTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRIXTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1107858

Location

BRIXTON HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brixton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100284

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 55 SE BRIXTON MAIN STREET, BRIXTON 4/3 Brixton House

II

House. Circa late C18 or early C19 house with west front added in 1835 by George Wightwick for Henry Collins-Splatt, and with circa 1850 and late C19 alterations. Rendered stone. The original house has double span gable-ended slate roof. The west front has slate hipped roof. Parapet, moulded cornice and moulded string course. Two storeys. Five bays. Sash windows with glazing bars moulded eaved architraves. Right hand windows blind. Centre first floor Venetian window with blind side lights, cornice, and pediment on consoles over centre light. Ground floor large circa 1850, porch and porte-cochiere with Corinthian pilastered corner piers and two Corinthian columns between supporting an entablature with a balustrade. South garden front has mid C19 two storey square and splayed bays. Interior: Corinthian columns to hall screen. Hall also has later C19 Jacobean style wooden chimneypiece and staircase. Drawing room has marble chimneypiece with iron stove on casters which allow it to be drawn forward for cleaning. Circa 1900 chimneypiece in dining room. There is a monument in the church to Henry Collins-Splatt 1800-1891. Reference H Colvin, Biographical Directory of British Architects.

Listing NGR: SX5529552181

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

National Grid Reference: SX 55241 52189

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107858 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2017 at 06:19:35.

End of official listing