OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107861

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1984

Statutory Address: OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107861 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 13:27:38.

Location

Statutory Address: OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 40 METRES EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: Brixton

National Grid Reference: SX 53234 51571

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 55 SW BRIXTON SPRIDDLESTONE 3/8 Outbuilding approximately 40 metres east of Spriddlestone Barton Farmhouse ( formerly listed as "Outbuilding it Spriddlestone 60 yards south west of Spriddlestone Barton Barn")

II

Farm building now a roofless ruin. Circa C18 or early C19. Slate rubble with reused granite window and door frames. Now roofless. All four walls survive including end gables. Now almost entirely covered in ivy. Originally two storeys. Front to road has four-centred arch roll moulded door frame with small carved spandrels, a window with similar moulding and another window with hollow chamfered frame. A first floor window is completely covered in ivy and cannot be described. In the south east gable end a reused roll moulded granite window and at rear some reused tracery to form a window. Spriddlestone was the seat of a branch of the Fortescue family from circa 1355 to 1785. The large medieval house, which was enlarged in C16, has gone, but some of the material has been reused in this outbuilding and in the barn and shippen approximately 50 metres south south east of Spriddlestone Barton Farmhouse qv.

Listing NGR: SX5323451571

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 100289

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing