ELFORDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107917

Date first listed: 22-Jun-1989

Statutory Address: ELFORDS, HASTINGS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELFORDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107917 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 07:06:10.

Location

Statutory Address: ELFORDS, HASTINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Hawkhurst

National Grid Reference: TQ 75746 29430

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAWKHURST HASTINGS ROAD TQ 7429-7529 (east side) 18/314 Elfords GV II House. C15, altered C19, part rebuilt mid/late C20. Rendered with plain tiled roof. Hall house and cross-wings in origin. Two storeys on plinth, with 4 irreg- ularly sized and projecting gables with moulded bargeboards and finials and pendants, with stacks ranged left to right. Seven window bays in extent with C19 mullioned windows with label hoods on both floors. Central 3-bay porch, open to front, with plinth and cornice parapet, with panelled inner door. Rear elevation with projecting full-height canted bays to left and to right and gabled main ranges with canted bays and mullioned windows. Although the appearance of the property is now of an early C19 cottage ovnée, the basic structure is reported C15, originally with central hall (arched central window on main front shown in early photographs), removed, the building divided into two, now a single house again. (See BOE, Kent I, 317; see also Hawkhurst Memoires, L H Waghorn, 1982, also Harted, Vol VII and Igglesdon, Vol 15). A seat of the Boys family until 1799, the elopement of Elizabeth Boys and Captain Charles Lamb a locally famous story, giving rise to the place name 'Lovers' Seat' at Fairlight, Hastings.

Listing NGR: TQ7573929433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 169664

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hasted, E, History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent, (1801)
Igglesden, C, Saunter through Kent with pen and pencil, (1922)
Newman, J, The Buildings of England: West Kent and the Weald, (1980), 397
Waghorn, L H, Hawkhurst Memoirs, (1982)

End of official listing