Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107971.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2021 at 09:42:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 79690 42829


STOKENHAM CHILLINGTON SX7942 White House Hotel 13/206 (formerly known as Dr. Steele-Perkins's House)


House, now used as an hotel. Early to mid C19, extended later in C19 and extended again in 1924 (dated rainwater head) and altered internally in C20. stuccoed, probably stone rubble; 1924 extension is stone rubble with concrete dressings. Double span slate roof with gable ends. Plan: The original house was probably of double depth plan with 2 principal rooms at the front with a central entrance hall and smaller rooms at the back. Later in C19 a large parallel range was built at the rear (west) with a small single storey outshut behind. In 1924 the house was extended on the left hand south side with a classical facade facing the garden to the south; a drawing room on the side of the front range, another room on the south of the back range, another room on the south of the back range and a loggia in the space between. Exterior: 2 storeys. 1:3 bay east front. Original symmetrical 3 bay house to right. First floor C19 12-pane sashes and central casement with glazing bars in moulded stucco architraves. C20 canted bays on ground floor, central doorway with C19 6-panel door, semi-circular fanlight with lead tracery and circa 1924 arched canopy on console brackets and with shell on top. Projecting on left is 1924 wing with corner pilasters with moulded cornices and urns on top, semi-circular headed ground floor window with glazing bars and hoodmould and 12-pane window above. 2 lead rainwater pipes with ornate heads dated 1924. The left hand south return, 2:2:2:1 bays, left and right hand bays project with stuccoed and moulded wooden pediments; 12-pane casements (like sashes) on first floor with blind oval panels between and French casements on ground floor with hoodmoulds; between the left and right hand bays a 3-bay loggia with square columns supporting a slate lean-to canopy. The right hand north elevation facing road has C19 sashes with glazing in moulded stucco architraves. Rear west elevation has small single storey outshut and late C19 sashes on first floor. Interior: Much altered in 1924 and later C20 although some C19 joinery survives. The right hand (north rooms of original house) have circa 1924 moulded plaster cornices, the left hand room is now part of entrance hall and has a 1924 Tudor style chimneypiece and a C20 staircase and bar at the back. The 1924 extension on left south side contains the drawing room which has a moulded plaster laurel wreath ceiling, dentilled cornice and Devon limestone (marble) bolection moulded chimneypiece.

Listing NGR: SX7969042829


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08641/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].