CONDUIT WITH CONTAINING WALLS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1108092
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CONDUIT WITH CONTAINING WALLS AND RAILINGS, BROWNSTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONDUIT WITH CONTAINING WALLS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108092 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 05:57:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CONDUIT WITH CONTAINING WALLS AND RAILINGS, BROWNSTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Modbury
National Grid Reference:
SX 65909 51822

Details

MODBURY BROWNSTON STREET SX 6451-6551 (east side) 7/101 Conduit with containing 20.1.67 walls and railings

GV II

Conduit. 1708, but dated 1874, when moved from street centre to its present position. Granite. A square structure in large cut granite blocks, offset plinth, heavy roll-mould cornice carrying a weathered pyramidal crown capped with large ball finial, and smaller finials to 4 lower corners. Right side has an opening. Set on paved area enclosed by walls to hit and miss copings, but at front with two square piers with pyramid caps. From piers small curved segment walls c.1 m high to weathered copings and carrying cast iron spear-head railings run back to sides of the conduit house. An inscription panel records: DONO ADRIANI SWETE EQUITIS DE TRAIN ANO DOM 1708 IN HUNC SITUM E MEDIA VIA TRANSLATUM 1874

Part of the thorough supply system to Modbury, in use until the 1950s.

Listing NGR: SX6590951822

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99693
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12294/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Beauchamp. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].